PDA

View Full Version : Schrader valve renewal

Slim R410a
15-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi.

Basically I have a discovered a leak after removing the schrader valve cap on the suction side of an old Toshiba R22 split.

I have a core removal tool and spare cores, just wondering what is the best way to go about repairing the valve, i.e will I have to recover before taking the core out or is there a way around it?

Thanks in advance.:)

frank
15-01-2006, 08:22 PM
You can change the valve with this tool when the system is charged. http://www.hawco.co.uk/refrig/Section6/css/Section6_1.htm

Last item on the page

rbartlett
15-01-2006, 08:22 PM
pump it down..

cheers

richard

Slim R410a
15-01-2006, 08:46 PM
You can change the valve with this tool when the system is charged. http://www.hawco.co.uk/refrig/Section6/css/Section6_1.htm

Last item on the page

Noticed this tool in HRP and SRW also, was tempted but cannot understand how I would actually attached it onto the leaking valve thread without refrigerant escaping alot/getting burnt!

US Iceman
15-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Frank,

That looks like a very useful tool. I have not seen one of these, but then I have not had to work on any schrader valves for a long, long time.

It does seem to take all of the fun out of doing a hot change-over on a liquid line though. :D

Thanks for the info and heads-up on this tool.

Slim R410a
15-01-2006, 08:52 PM
pump it down..

cheers

richard

Thought about that too, havnt got the model number on me, its a 7kw ceiling suspended think about 1997 model, is there a forced cooling mode or will I have to trick it by warming the thermistor as its only about 12 degree c in the room.

Apologies if there are a lot of questions, as you can prob tell I'm mainly installation!

bernard
15-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi

This is a excellent tool and I use it often,its ideal when charging a pack as the shreader valve restricts the flow.You attach the tool on to the shreader threads then send the extraction rod in and remove the valve this is a sealed chamber,pull the rod back and close the shut off valve on the tool and unscrew rod and valve.

Hope that makes sense

Regards Bernard

frank
15-01-2006, 09:16 PM
If you are going to pump it down then just hook up the gauges, close the liquid line valve, stick the screwdriver on the contactor and then close the suction valve when the gauge reads 0psig :) 'nuf said :)

Brian_UK
15-01-2006, 11:20 PM
..... is there a forced cooling mode .....Select Cool mode on the controller when in the Off condition, then press and hold the on/off button until an 'L' appears on the display; you now have about 30 minutes before it reverts to normal or you switch off again.

You should also have in your PPE kit some heat (cold) resistant gloves shouldn't you ? Ideal for occasions like this.:)

fridg
16-01-2006, 08:19 AM
If you do not want to drop the charge

Imperial make a tool (PINCH OFF TOOL 105-FF)

here is the link

http://www.stridetool.com/tools/hose_tubingtools/servicetools_01.html

this tool pinches off your pipe cutting supply of refrigerant to the fan cycle , so you can replace
without interference to the charge , when replaced it has rerounders of different diameters so you can reround your pipe and let refrigerant flow to the control.

MANITOWOC recommend using this tool on their
ice machines as to not interfere with the factory
charge when changing their fan cycles.

techguy
16-01-2006, 10:41 AM
HI Just get yourself one of the schrader extractor tools I've had one for years and its paid for itself many times over.
T

hybridjunction
16-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I see on that link frank you pay 14 pound for a quik connector and 28 for the schrader tool. bargin. In Australia your up for $70.00 and $80-$90 respectivly.

I've got one of each. Need 2. It was suggested in our training that these items should be compulsory in everyones tool bag to be accredited. Best practice for minimal refrigerant loss.

frank
16-01-2006, 12:44 PM
At todays exchange rate the core extract tool £28 would cost $aus 65.58 so a fair saving. Now, taking into account the postage and my handling fee :D it may not be such a saving for you :D :D

Slim R410a
16-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all the help.

I will pump it down using forced cooling mode, if that fails will push in the contactor like said...

I do have all the ppe etc:)

Cheers,

frank
16-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Some condensing units do not bring the fan on when you push in the contactor hence the warning sticker on them :)
It's best to have the fan running when pumping down to ensure fluid phase change

Jase
16-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Don't hold contactor in as this is incorrect procedure.:eek: I reckon Frank was only joking with you and as you said, you are more used to installation than service you will end up doing more damage to yourself than the air-con unit!
Be safe at all times:D

Jase

Slim R410a
18-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Pumped it down using the forced cooling mode today with no problem at all. (Cheers Brian):)

Slim R410a
18-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Some condensing units do not bring the fan on when you push in the contactor hence the warning sticker on them :)

Yes I have always noticed these stickers on the Mitsubishi R407c fixed speed range.....

I learn something new everyday;)

Brian_UK
18-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Pumped it down using the forced cooling mode today with no problem at all. (Cheers Brian):)Glad to hear that the problem is resolved.

BTW if you want forced heating on a heat pump then select HEAT and press/hold the button again and an H will show this time. You don't get and fancy defrosting in this mode it will blow cold air inside!!

hybridjunction
19-01-2006, 08:50 AM
:rolleyes:
At todays exchange rate the core extract tool £28 would cost $aus 65.58 so a fair saving. Now, taking into account the postage and my handling fee :D it may not be such a saving for you :D :D
:rolleyes:

Gee Thanks Frank:)

Slim R410a
19-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Glad to hear that the problem is resolved.

BTW if you want forced heating on a heat pump then select HEAT and press/hold the button again and an H will show this time. You don't get and fancy defrosting in this mode it will blow cold air inside!!

Whilst on the subject, what are the differences between Heat 1 and Heat 2 modes on these Toshiba's?

hybridjunction
20-01-2006, 12:06 PM
mmmm, yes Brian. Is it possible to purchace stem removers and quik couplers for R410A systems?

hybridjunction
31-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Mine doesn't do R410A connections?

Found a R410a quik couler manufactured by REFCO. Part number V-3541015. I was told they don't exist. And I have seen both schader core remover and coupler. I'll get back with a part number on the former;)

Slim R410a
31-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Ive had R410a quick couplers for ages, SRW do a set with a straight one and a 90 deg. one! Never had a cold burn since:)