PDA

View Full Version : Warehouse heating and cooling?

jakehabing
30-12-2012, 04:20 AM
I am installing the heating and a/c system in a new 6000 sqft warehouse. 100'x60'. The warehouse is located in northern missouri. This is the first commercal job that have done and I am not sure what would be the best system for this appication. I was thinking of installing two split systems and running tubelar ducts along the 100' sides of the building. One thing is I don't know what size of units to install or if this is the best option. A little history of the job. I am building the whole building ground up. it is a prefab steel buliding. I am still in design phase of the job. Again my experience is installing and servicing residential units. This is by far the biggest job I have done. Is my split system idea a good one? Are there online resorses that could help me figure out sizing? Also I would like any tip or advise from the experiened. Thanks.

Brian_UK
30-12-2012, 10:00 PM
My advice would be to ask one of your equipment suppliers to provide a quote for the systems needed. That way you use the expertise of the supplier and it also gives you some form of protection if the system does not perform correctly.

knighty
01-01-2013, 09:40 AM
if you're building a fresh building... why not install under floor heating ?

piece of cake to do with a fresh build, pretty cheap, and by far the most efficient way of heating ?

install monkey
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
till they open the loading bay door:D also fork lift trucks weigh in at around 2 ton,dexion racking full of pallets will have a high load per small footprint- will damage any screed covering. usually a warehouse for heavy traffic will be constructed by concrete slabs 12 in thick and will have a flexible expansion joint- no good for ufh- usually gas fired heaters,radiant tube heaters or package roof top units , normally they just open the door for free cooling-
if you're building a fresh building... why not install under floor heating ?

piece of cake to do with a fresh build, pretty cheap, and by far the most efficient way of heating ?

Magoo
02-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Hi Jake.
what sort of conditions do you want to maintain within the warehouse, is it critical for storage conditions?. what is the structure materials etc.., ?

jakehabing
03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Magoo,

I would like to maintain comfortable conditions 72F. It is storage for a computer manufactureing company, so it does need to stay dry. The building is a steel building with an R-13 insulation value, roof and walls. I speced out 2 - 5ton heat pumps, with a 120000 btu, 95% furnace for each heat pump. I still am in the designing phase so I could change these units. I still am designing the duct system. I was thinking of maybe having the unit blow at one end of the building, hoping it will climatize the whole building with a few degree varience.

Jake

Hi Jake.
what sort of conditions do you want to maintain within the warehouse, is it critical for storage conditions?. what is the structure materials etc.., ?

knighty
03-01-2013, 09:30 PM
till they open the loading bay door:D also fork lift trucks weigh in at around 2 ton,dexion racking full of pallets will have a high load per small footprint- will damage any screed covering. usually a warehouse for heavy traffic will be constructed by concrete slabs 12 in thick and will have a flexible expansion joint- no good for ufh- usually gas fired heaters,radiant tube heaters or package roof top units , normally they just open the door for free cooling-

no need for a screed ontop for the UFH, the thicker the slab it's installed in the better (more thermal mass)

and the expansion joints won't be a problem either as the expansion/contraction of the slabs averages out over the floor, with a microscopic difference between each slab
(with ufh they should all be at the same temp anyway)

Bigfreeze
03-01-2013, 10:10 PM

Have been involved in ufh in aircraft hangars, its not a problem IM. 25mm pipe centered in 300mm slab. Will hold heat for days. Not ideal if the doors are open all day but perfect if only opened intermittently.