PDA

View Full Version : Compressor freezing up

Allen Key
29-12-2012, 08:07 AM
What is the cause of the compressor freezing up ie ice on the top of the compressor

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Dave

The Viking
29-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Poorly adjusted expansion device...

:cool:

martinw58
29-12-2012, 05:56 PM
check the superheat to make sure no liquid returning to compressor

install monkey
29-12-2012, 06:39 PM
also check controls- thermostat ok, contactors not welded, evap coil clean,no ice build up on indoor coil,defrost works,all evap fans working

Brian_UK
29-12-2012, 11:05 PM
What is the operating temperature of the suction line and the dew point of the ambient air ?

Allen Key
30-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Hello Brian
I am a complete novice but find refrigeration interesting. I have adjusted the expansion valve TEX 5 this has cured the problem.
I suppose screwing the adjustment in gives less superheat ie no liquid going back to the compressor.
How do i check for superheat?

Regards

Dave

install monkey
30-12-2012, 10:21 AM
http://www.hvacfun.com/a-how-to-measure-superheat.htm

The Viking
30-12-2012, 03:52 PM
:rolleyes:

One question...

If you don't know how to measure superheat, how on earth did you adjust the TEV???

Quick, call a professional before your compressor fails. (At least if your compressor serve a system you care about)

Hello Brian
I am a complete novice but find refrigeration interesting. I have adjusted the expansion valve TEX 5 this has cured the problem.
I suppose screwing the adjustment in gives less superheat ie no liquid going back to the compressor.

Regards

Dave

Brian_UK
30-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Hello Brian
Regards
DaveIf you have to ask that question then what are you doing playing with the expansion valve?

Next thread will be 'my compressor has seized up due to overheating' or similar.

[edit]Sorry should have read down to see that the Viking has already raised the issue.

Grizzly
30-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi Allenkey.
What my knowledgeable friends are trying to tell you in their own special way.
Is adjust to far one way and you will flood liquid refrigerant back to the compressor and wreck it!
Or overheat the comp and its motor with a seizure of either or both!
Simply put you are playing with that which can easily be set incorrectly.
Many so called experienced engineers do!
So for everyone piece of mind.
Don't do it!

Grizzly

Allen Key
31-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Thats great mate thanks alot for the advice

Allen Key
31-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Advice taken cheers for the info