PDA

View Full Version : Oil sight glass on York YK chiller

icefisher1
17-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I found my oil sight gclass leaking on the oil res. on a YK chiller, will I have to take the charg out of this unit to change the sight glass out. Any info would be great

Thanks

Grizzly
17-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi Icefisher.

Welcome to the forum.

The short answer is No. You should not have to remove the refrigerant.

You obviously will need to drain your oil, to a level below the sight glass.

The oil used is highly hygroscopic, so its contact time with the atmosphere should be kept to an absolute minimum.
Better still drain the oil Pull a deep vacuum and suck fresh oil into the reservoir, to the required level.
Grizzly

icefisher1
17-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Grizz
1st of thanks for the reply. There is one 2'' flex pipe that comes out of the bottom of the compressor that has no isolation on, or am I missing something on that.

Thanks
icefisher 1

Grizzly
17-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Grizz
1st of thanks for the reply. There is one 2'' flex pipe that comes out of the bottom of the compressor that has no isolation on, or am I missing something on that.

Thanks
icefisher 1
You got me there!
Are we talking about the same thing?
Grizzly

icefisher1
17-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Grizz
Its a 2'' flex pipe that comes out of the bottom of the compressor and is connected to the top of the oil res.

Ice fisher

Grizzly
17-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Sorry, you have me beat the YK's I have seen.
I didn't think had a flexible hose to the oil reservoir? (what colour is it?)
I could be wrong!
Grizzly

GHAZ
17-12-2012, 11:57 PM
HI yes you need to take all the refrigerant out , the sight glass will crack if you exert too much force ,just take them out and put loctite or suitable sealant around them and tight them up gently,youll have to make a tool to undo them , i just got a old 1/2 inch drive socket and welded a square key metal and it did the trick

Grizzly
18-12-2012, 08:26 AM
I would go with Ghaz's advise, He rarely gets it wrong!

I on the other hand have been known to make mistakes.
Common sense says he is correct.
Grizzly

icefisher1
19-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the info

Steve186
25-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Don't agree this is a common issue with the York sight glass had many leak in the past just reclaim charge and order new sight glass and gasket fit using oil on rubber seal not loctite