PDA

View Full Version : R22 phase out R417A drop in

Kirky
11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi all

Are largest customers have decided to begin the R22 phase out early. Although we are simply going to replace the smaller split systems on site there are a few larger multi splits and a large VRV system all on R22. Replacing these larger systems are very costly and so we are looking into a drop in. I am hearing that R417A is a direct drop in replacement for R22 without having to change the oil. However I have spoken to a number of manufacturers with only Sanyo having trailed R417A but on new R22 systems. The rest of them simply say buy new kit or take your chances, which I expected as they want to sell more. Has anyone carried out the change from R22 to a drop in such as R417A. What were the results is R417A a direct replacement. If not R417A then what ?

Brian_UK
11-12-2012, 10:23 PM
You say that you have VRV, I believe Daikin do a 'Q' type which will convert old R22 without changing the indoor units.

r.bartlett
11-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Tell them they are absolutely mad. You will get no support from Daikin. The kit is at least 12 years old and now want you to start mucking around with it.?

You will have a drop of around 15% in capacity and who knows what else?

Stick with R22 it's readily available and is a known quantity. Keep using it till the kit is knackered or totally banned. They have a couple of years to manage the swap out and with a 50% reduction in running costs with new kit makes it the most sensible option.

still learning
12-12-2012, 04:44 PM
all of our customers went for a re fit. and could see the fan motors and boards plus bs boxes were old , and more than likely , enjoy the cheaper running costs .
i did hear rumour and i say rumour that some seals can be affected.
also does the system have any acid in it, yes it still works but for how long ?
out door units rust free? bottoms rusting out?
just the other day i was talking to a good customer in the street, " how are things ?"
" its all running fine "
two days latter a phone call tis gone pop.
talk about tempting fate .

AbsoluteWDJ
13-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi all

Are largest customers have decided to begin the R22 phase out early. Although we are simply going to replace the smaller split systems on site there are a few larger multi splits and a large VRV system all on R22. Replacing these larger systems are very costly and so we are looking into a drop in. I am hearing that R417A is a direct drop in replacement for R22 without having to change the oil. However I have spoken to a number of manufacturers with only Sanyo having trailed R417A but on new R22 systems. The rest of them simply say buy new kit or take your chances, which I expected as they want to sell more. Has anyone carried out the change from R22 to a drop in such as R417A. What were the results is R417A a direct replacement. If not R417A then what ?

We've used FX90 (HRP sell it) on Daikin VRV about two years ago. We only charged 95% of original R22 charge (R22 = 19.45kg, FX90 = 18.4kg). No replacement parts or oil and to my knowledge we've had no issues but you obviously have to make your customer aware of the potential issues involved. FX90 had a slightly higher head pressure and slightly lower back pressure & discharge temperatures in heating compared to R22.