PDA

View Full Version : Builders!

spimps
06-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Shop I had looked after for many years fitted with a single split on r22 changed hands.
New owner agrees to buy system.
I get phone call from new owner "can you re-connect the air con"? although I guessed what was coming I asked who disconnected it.
"The builder" , he had sawn through pipes and took indoor down to move a wall.
They just beggar belief sometimes.
All we fork out to comply with reg's etc,wonder what percentage of systems where building alterations are taking place are pumped down.
I just said I'm not interested.
Would/should I report them?

still learning
06-12-2012, 06:27 PM
i know what you mean.
we arrived to one job to find all the wiring cut as well.
as the unit was 22 we sold them a new 410 one
it amaze's me that folk re fit a shop and keep old air con as most pipe runs are behind fixtures and fittings .
and it ends up a out of shop hours job.

Brian_UK
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Go on, report him; be interesting to see what happens wouldn't it?

hookster
07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
ROFL!!! :D http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1543/pdfs/uksi_20111543_en.pdf

A person guilty of an offence would find themselves liable to be taken to magistrates court by DEFRA where a statutory penalty of up to £5000.00 can be issued.
But all likely hood is that a fixed penalty notice would be issued and a fixed penalty payment can be made of £100.00
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/261/regulation/54/made

Until we actually get an industry with "Real Teeth" backed by serious government legislation. Then if we are allowed to have an elected body to enforce the rulings i.e BRA (British Refrigeration Association) the whistle blowing policy etc would have real impact.

Instead we get a failed gas regulation authority Refcom (yes its actually CORGI), Quidos or Bureau Veritas.

Powers of regulatorsA regulator has a range of options at its disposal to protect the environment and will use the option or options it believes will best ensure compliance with the FGG Regulations 2009. If an organisation does not comply with these regulations, the action taken by the regulator may include:

providing targeted advice and guidance to an organisation to secure compliance.
serving an “enforcement notice”. A regulator may serve an enforcement notice if it is of the opinion that a person has contravened, is contravening or is likely to contravene relevant requirements of the regulations. The contents of an enforcement notice must include a description of the contravention, specification of steps suitable remedy and a date by which time the remedies must be in effect.
serving a “prohibition notice”. A regulator will use this type of notice where specific requirements are contravened or there is a risk that they will be contravened and such contravention will involve “an imminent danger of serious pollution of the environment”. Prohibition notices allow the regulator to insist on a piece of equipment or even a whole site being shut down.

The penaltiesA person who commits an offence under these regulations is liable:

on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum
on conviction on indictment, to a fine.