PDA

View Full Version : Vac pump and manifold leaks

rocketsam
05-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Hi,

So basically I wanted to test my electronic vacuum gauge, manifold and lines under a vacuum with my pump to make sure all my kit is ok. I have capped the ends off to the high and low side lines from the manifold.

Whilst the pump is running for 20 mins I get a vacuum reading at 0.265 torr. I shut the valve to the vac pump and after 10 mins it has risen to 1.4 torr.

I am speculating that as it is a small amount to evacuate and there shouldn't be much fluctuation on the torr reading.

Although I am considering the following factors but don't know what relevance some may have

1. Dirt/fine dirt on the nylon parts of the gauge lines allowing air to pass by

2. The torr gauge is reading the pulling pressure of the vac pump, so when it's isolated it will rise to the actual torr achieved

3. The manifold lines etc have residual oil, plus gas and/or moisture in them although I would expect a 20 minute vac to have pulled all of this out, apart from the oil. (Would oil cause much of a problem, would it be worth cleaning out?).

I would like to try and establish this as I want my vac's to be as accurate as possible

Sam

install monkey
05-12-2012, 09:58 PM
pressure test ur gauges with nitrogen, will prove theyre sound- refco manifolds are prone for leakin sight glasses, nylon /ptfe gauge hoses if dirty can be problematic, could be ur vac pump passing when switched off