PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsu split system emanating fishy odour

bradje
05-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi,
I have a 2yo Fujitsu Split System and the indoor unit (ASTA18LCC) started delivering fishy smelling air yesterday!!! Been fine till now. (We had a stinking hot day 3 days ago and the system was on all day, but we've done that before without any issues).
Question: How can I get at the drain pipe to run a wire down it? Would anyone pls have diagrams on what to do for this model? The drain pipe according to the manual is at the back on the RHS, but I cannot see how to get at it.
Thx very much,
JB

martinxxxxxx
05-12-2012, 08:14 PM
This is a of the blind leading the blind, but as no one else ha fielded this; here goes..

Normally ONE SHOT CONDENSATE DRAIN CLEANER will do the trick. Be careful with the stuff it burns your skin like hell.

Also, fishy smell is normally associated with electrical burning, So be on the look out for this too.

Hope this helps (a bit)

Martin

bradje
05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
This is a of the blind leading the blind, but as no one else ha fielded this; here goes..

Normally ONE SHOT CONDENSATE DRAIN CLEANER will do the trick. Be careful with the stuff it burns your skin like hell.

Also, fishy smell is normally associated with electrical burning, So be on the look out for this too.

Hope this helps (a bit)

Martin

Thx very much, but where would I put the cleaner? I cannot see the back of the wall unit. Do u know how to get to the drip tray/drain outlet?
Thx

Brian_UK
05-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Carefully pour the cleaning fluid onto the face of the evaporator coil near the bottom of the coil and at the LHS. This will flow into the drain tray which runs along the bottom of the coil towards the drain outlet at the RHS.

martinxxxxxx
05-12-2012, 11:39 PM
^^^^^^What he said, but wear gloves and goggle and long sleeves, specially if your first time doing it, the bottles come with a special spout.

install monkey
05-12-2012, 11:46 PM
ensure the drip tray is empty before pouring in, could also be the coil stinking- usually smells of cat piss- last resort smelly jellys

bradje
06-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Carefully pour the cleaning fluid onto the face of the evaporator coil near the bottom of the coil and at the LHS. This will flow into the drain tray which runs along the bottom of the coil towards the drain outlet at the RHS.

Thx very much shall try this soon
JB

monkey spanners
06-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Spray some Condenside spray on the coil and keep the coil wet for ten minutes then rinse.

If this don't work check for fish in unit...

Frikkie
08-12-2012, 10:12 AM

I would say this as well, it's very common for electrical connections or components that are overheating to give a fishy smell. I think it's the plastic insulation material that makes it like this.

bradje
25-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in getting back....
I have attatched a photo of the front. Am I supposed to just pour the liquid over these fins? I can't see anywhere else to pour/spray it.
Thx,
John Bradshaw

install monkey
25-12-2012, 11:44 PM
spray it- best to remove the front cover so you expose all the fins.
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in getting back....
I have attatched a photo of the front. Am I supposed to just pour the liquid over these fins? I can't see anywhere else to pour/spray it.
Thx,
John Bradshaw

The Viking
25-12-2012, 11:45 PM
To be brutally honest with you, looking at that picture your unit need a professional deep clean.

Sorry.

:cool:

bradje
26-12-2012, 12:16 AM
spray it- best to remove the front cover so you expose all the fins.
Thx very much.
To remove the front cover, do i just undo the screws at the front and pop off the cover? (I cannot see any other screws)
JB

install monkey
26-12-2012, 12:23 AM
yep upto 4 screws on the front, remove the filters and pop out the tabs at the top to remove, takes a bit of practise
Thx very much.
To remove the front cover, do i just undo the screws at the front and pop off the cover? (I cannot see any other screws)
JB

bradje
26-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Thx very much...Shall try this after the boxing day lunch!! :)
JB

Kev The Tool
26-12-2012, 07:32 AM
you could always call someone in to clean it properly with the right cleaning solution!

install monkey
26-12-2012, 12:39 PM
so you cant use cillit bang oven cleaner!!:D
you could always call someone in to clean it properly with the right cleaning solution!