PDA

View Full Version : qualifications required?

skyesparky
02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Newbie here so hello to all!

Im looking for some advice from guys in the industry. Im an electrician (nvq3, 17th, Inspection & testing) i also have NVQ2 electronic & electrical servicing (appliance repair). In a previous job i was involved in servicing and maintenance of walk in fridges/freezers, shop display fridges and very small split systems. Ive been self employed for the last year and have been getting asked more and more about servicing and maintenance on the systems listed above but have only been able to check electrical side obviously. Any pressure testing, repairs and recharges have been carried out by other contractors.

Im looking into getting the quals (and more experience) required to do this myself. As well as 2079-11 what else would i need? are there any courses you can recommend ?

Regards, Steve

river1710
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
hi there well there is the j11 ... but there is a more intensive course witht that and it take in pipping and brazing skills and certs also eal/nvq level 3 maintanence of refrig and there is also a c&G 2081 on heat pumps and critically charged systems ive done all of this in the past .... the 18th edition is also good for learning .

skyesparky
02-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi River, thanks for the reply. Regarding the nvq, what technical certificate would i need, ie underpinning knowledge. I have a brazing cert although im a bit out of practice so a refresher would be required.

Rob White
02-12-2012, 03:56 PM

NVQ's are work based and therefore you need to be in the trade
to meet the requirements. You will be expected to do 2 years
part time at a college or training centre and then prove you are
doing the work by completing a portfolio.

A lot of the newer qualifications allow you to do the courses in
modular sections.

The bare minimum to make you legal, will require you to do the
F-gas qualification either C&G or CITB and for someone without
any experience that would be extremely hard.

I would suggest you look into the 6187 and then look at the 2079.

Regards

Rob