PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool WBM39LW

bearzac
01-12-2012, 07:44 AM
I have a Whirlpool wbm39LW. The alarm is beeping and the centre green light code is displayed. It sounds like something is trying to start (compressor? motor?) in sync with the alarm beeping. There is also a clicking sound from a black cylinder at the bottom rear of the fridge next to what I assume is the compressor. The serviceman said it needs a new circuit board ($500) but I'm hoping there's a cheaper option (hard start kit, capacitor kit??) Cheers
Pete

Airconjon
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Sound like the Clixon ( current /heat overload on the compressor ) is clicking ie seized compressor or faulty condenser fan motor if you have 1 ... Could be faulty relay on pcb....or like you said faulty run capisitor if it has one .. Cheapest option is to by pass Clixon and test and or relay

bearzac
02-12-2012, 04:25 AM
Hey, thanks very much for your help. Unfortunately as a civilian I have no idea what a Clixon is or how to bypass anything. I'll try to add a couple of photos and if there's anything more you can add it would be much appreciated! Cheers Pete9799980098019802

tonto33
02-12-2012, 02:33 PM
does the compressor kick in and start or just make click click sound?

bearzac
02-12-2012, 08:31 PM
does the compressor kick in and start or just make click click sound?

Hi, It tries to kick in, for a split-second, each time in sync with the alarm beep & clicking.

tonto33
02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
then you have compressor fault

bearzac
03-12-2012, 01:08 AM
then you have compressor fault
Thanks. Could a faulty circuit board stop the compressor from kicking in properly?

mikeref
03-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks. Could a faulty circuit board stop the compressor from kicking in properly?
The WBM's circuit boards don't generally show any sign of damage. I've changed quite a few over the years.
Hope that price, on your initial post was not for just the module??
A missed or failed compressor start on WBM's is 90% of the time caused by your PCB.

bearzac
03-12-2012, 08:49 AM
The WBM's circuit boards don't generally show any sign of damage. I've changed quite a few over the years.
Hope that price, on your initial post was not for just the module??
A missed or failed compressor start on WBM's is 90% of the time caused by your PCB.

Hi, yes that was the quote to replace the circuit board, hence me looking for a cheaper fix, if it exists. Thought I might replace the capacitor since it's making the clicking noise (and only $17) Might work?