View Full Version : Automotive A/C, pressures

Acrisoft
26-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi

About a A/C car charge:

I didn't know the weight and charged by low site pressure,
about aprox. 30PSI. (R134A)

The system works but, is not cooling enough

There is : 45PSI and 270 PSI, at 30°C (weather)

As I step the accelerator there is 27 and 410 PSI.

As I turn the car off and wait 10 minutes the pressure with system OFF
is: 117 low site and 170 high side.

Is there a chance the compressor to be bad ?

Can the system be overcharged ?

Moises

charlie patt
26-11-2012, 07:44 PM
is suction line sweating ......what vechicle and what is condensor fan doing even at 30 dc head is to high suction depends on vechicle and what is coil temp remember on vechicles the heater has more output than the ac unit

Gideon Beddows
30-11-2012, 10:25 AM
i would have expected about 30 psi for R134a. But vehicle AC is a really critical charge. You should be able to find out the correct charge by Googling or failing that, email the manufacturers customer service department give them all the vehicle details and they should help. You really need to weigh it in following evacuation. Hope that helps?

hyperion
30-11-2012, 02:17 PM
It sounds as if the system is either overcharged or has a mixture of air and refrigerant. Pressures are way too high, even for 30 ambient. Reclaim the refrigerant, vac the system and then charge the refrigerant by weight. Auto systems charge is quite critical, often to within 30grams either side of the manufacturers recommended amount.

Amma
10-12-2012, 12:21 PM
A quick way to check if the cabin air filter is the problem is to turn on the A/C to the highest fan speed and keep the windows open in the car when it's over 80F outside.The compressor should stay on constantly without cycling off.If it cycles on and off,then you probably have reduced airflow over the evaporator or condenser,but it mostly rules out the compressor and refrigerant charge as the problem.