PDA

View Full Version : Formula to size Refer unit for Beverage cooler

mccoolair@yahoo
11-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Hello All, I need to size a new 404a condensing unit for a reach-in (front loading)beverage cooler. Specs: 12 doors-30"W x 24"D x 60H". Its in a small store, over along the wall, so its approx. 30' in length. Of course its medium temp. I'm replacing a Russell unit that had a 6hp copeland discus- grounded out(I wonder Why!?)Owner said it was always icing-up. What do you think? I think a 1 1/2 or 2 horsepower unit. What else do I need to know? Please advise. :confused:

mccoolair@yahoo
11-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Hello All, I need help sizing a Refrig. Condensing Unit:
Medium Temp- 35F
R404a
Cabinet Style: Bev. Cooler- front loading
12 doors- 30"wide each
Approx.total length- 30'
Depth-24", Height- 60"
Area- 300 cubic ft.

Dan
11-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Figure 1000 to 1200 Btu/door at 20 deg F. A one hp would be marginal depending on traffic. I would size a 2 hp compressor.

Peter_1
11-01-2006, 12:36 PM
..... I'm replacing a Russell unit that had a 6hp copeland discus- grounded out?....I think a 1 1/2 or 2 horsepower unit. What else do I need to know?

Why it was icing up? You have yourself the answer for this problem.

pinoytoits
14-01-2006, 08:15 PM
i'm confused!
what's icing up?... the evaporator? or the suction to the compressor? and you need a separate condensing unit? for what reason?

Steve Wright
15-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Like Peter said you have a problem. The freeze-ups probably caused flood-back that caused the grounded compressor.

Medium temp closed door case need about 350 to 550 btu/ft at +20*F evap temp, that will vary greatly by who manufactured the cases, you need to verify the BTUH requirements.

I don't know your store or ambient conditions but that size looks about right, there are many variables though.

Steve Wright CM

vipul
16-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Please confirm the following:

1. Is this Reach in cooler in an air conditioned area? Or else, please let me know the temperature of the surrounding air.

2. What is the ambient temperature for the condensing unit?

3. What is the distance between the Walkin and the location of the condensing unit?

4. Are the bottels being loaded in the cooler, pre cooled or at normal temperature?

Look forward to your reply and then I can do the heat load for you.

Regards,

Vipul Chandra
Dubai:) :)

Hello All, I need to size a new 404a condensing unit for a reach-in (front loading)beverage cooler. Specs: 12 doors-30"W x 24"D x 60H". Its in a small store, over along the wall, so its approx. 30' in length. Of course its medium temp. I'm replacing a Russell unit that had a 6hp copeland discus- grounded out(I wonder Why!?)Owner said it was always icing-up. What do you think? I think a 1 1/2 or 2 horsepower unit. What else do I need to know? Please advise. :confused:

Peter_1
16-01-2006, 07:49 AM
And the wall thickness?

How many times will the doors open? If it's like in a highway shop, every minute open the door, looking a minute what they should drink with the doors wide open, and then pick the bottle and shut the door not properly afterwards.

Initially there was a 6 HP !!:eek: :eek:
Now replaced with a 1 1/2 HP.

What size of standard evaparator fits in this closet?

Distance between room and compressor...why you need this?

A rough estimate after converting the " ' " ( ' " ! § ( ...1500 W.
But such an evaporator can't be installed in a room of only 65 cm (héhé) deep. So you will need to install at least 2 evaporators or foresee a false ceiling with a tailormade evaporator in it, ventilated by a centrifugal.

Or even better a 13th section with a vertical tailor made evaporator in it and a turbine and a false ceiling.

Or use a part of the 12th door to in stall one.

Is there place on the ceiling.

Choose also one with a high DT, conservation is not an issue here.

We've done with the company I worked for - together with BESC5240 - some for Totalfina along the highway Brussels-Ostend: glassdoors, charged from the cold room behind. One side of the cold room were in fact the glassdoors for the clients.

mccoolair@yahoo
16-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Peter, I found your post regarding" sizing Refer unit for a beverage cooler" informative. The ballgame has completely changed since then; the store is in a very low income area so consequently, money is the main issue. A liquidating compny, of the same ethnic background as the store owner (their buddies),is to provide a Copeland 3hp compressor to replace the 6hp, in otherwards putting a 3hp compressor in a 72,000 btu condensing unit. The 3hp comp. is designed for R-502,R-12, or R-22 refrigerants. These people deal in used commercial refrigeration systems, for supermarkets, convenience stores and comm. kitchen equipment. I will be changing the TXV for R-22 application. To answer some of the questions you had, The distance between the appliance and condenser is approx. 20 ft.; the beverages arrive pre-cooled; thickness of the cabinet- don't know; Indoor ambient ranges from 70-80, and outdoor temp.- winter= 25-80 degreesF; summer= 70-105 degrees F. Its in Dallas, TX. I apologize for what appears to be a "jerry-rigged" job. I'm just trying to do the best I can with what their giving me to work with.

dogma
25-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Watch if something goes wrong it don't come back and bite you on the bum. Record everything, I'm presuming you have a boss, log it all and include your notes and corespondance with your concerns when doing "jerry-rigged" jobs. You don't want a nice big fine from your local gov or EPA.