rbartlett
10-01-2006, 08:15 PM
http://www.nbc25.com/main/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1314

sad news

cheers

richard

Abe
10-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Forgive me if Im wrong Richard, but ***** is not flammable?

How did it catch fire?

US Iceman
10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Without knowing more details I suspect the refrigerant and oil was suddenly released and the oil ignited. With the oil providing an ignition source, the ***** probably burned right in the poor guys face. The oil is probably the main culprit, since it's ignition point is lower than the refrigerants.

Someone from the service company will have a lot of questions to answer from officials and family.

This was a DA*N shame and should not have happened.:mad:

chillin out
10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Shame. Another thing for apprentices and bosses to learn.

Chillin

phil68
10-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Very tragic. Pure speculation here but I'm guessing he was using a blow-torch to defrost the coil & managed to perforate one of the pipes, igniting the resulting oil mist which must have been emitted like an aerosol. Makes me think twice about defrosting coils with a turbotorch:( Also makes me thank my lucky stars for the lucky escapes I had when I was starting out.

fridg
11-01-2006, 09:07 AM
This is other peoples opinion on the subject.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young man is thawing unit with torch, overheats a fitting, fitting comes apart spraying high pressure oil laden refrigerant directly onto tech who is similtaneously overcome with phosgene and ignited oil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if I read that "news story" right, the "*****" caught fire and he died with the torch still in his hand minutes after he arrived.

Hmmm. Is this one of the units the HO 'converted' to use propane refrigerant?
Was he trying to braze the system WITHOUT recovering the charge?

Enquiring minds want to know...
------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------

abdulazman
11-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Forgive me if Im wrong Richard, but ***** is not flammable?

How did it catch fire?
Probably while defrosting the frost section with the torch, he must had punctured a pipe by accident, startled he turned the torch towards him and burnt himself, I don't know only God knows.
Please read the news thoroughly. Pitied the guy, why so young?
Safety first:( :( :( :(

Abe
11-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I have never used a torch to defrost , a coil, but thank God Richard posted this, as I once saw an experienced tech do it.

Lesson that has come to the fore in my mind,

Never use a blow torch on an evap whilst it is under pressure

frank
11-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Never use a blow torch on an evap whilst it is under pressure

Quite right Abe - but there is nothing wrong with using the heat from your torch to advance the defrost on severly frosted (iced) coils if you are careful and know what you are doing. Never let the flame touch the coil - only the heat from the flame onto the ice from a distance.

US Iceman
11-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Frank has a good point. As long as the heat is directed towards the ice and in constant motion, it is unlikely that this would have occurred.

Now using the torch on the bare coil surface is another story...

Knowing the difference is experience.

abdulazman
12-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Marc,
In the first place did someone here mention the oil flame or flame from the oil that burns the lad and than he supports another thread, I think I've aged sporadically.
Oil ignited :D :D :D :D (my foot).

dogma
12-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Is it possibe a previous tech droped a touch of propane in the system? I've been told that a touch of propane ie. 3% in an R22 system keeps the system clean and gives the lubricant better properties.

dogma
12-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Fridge,

Do you know where that link is of that experiment here in Australia where ole bud blows up the car?

fridg
12-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Here is the direct link to the video DOGMA

http://www.vasa.org.au/images/movies/hc_demo.mov

Here is the link to the site

http://www.vasa.org.au/

abdulazman
I am just settling in to : Refrigeration-Engineer.com Join Date: Dec 2005

Re: fridge gut dies...

Marc,
In the first place did someone here mention the oil flame or flame from the oil that burns the lad and than he supports another thread, I think I've aged sporadically.
Oil ignited (my foot).

Last edited by abdulazman : 34 Minutes Ago at 04:31 PM.

abdulazman does oil ignite

i am an apprentice can you please explain
i have seen oil burn , in this situation and the oil type
(i am Australian) from what you are saying it is not
possible.

Why ?

coolhandluke
12-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Personally I've always used a Paint striping heat gun.

Never had any probs melting fins etc.

I have seen a few instances of oil ignition but only when the pipework had been evacuated and open, never seen or heard of escaping oil/refrigerant mist igniting.

Many a tech will agree the blow torch leak detectors when the flame went green where very common.

Also if this guy was outside I dont think refrigerant could have suffocated him and anyone who has had a face full of phosgene normally moves pretty sharpish.

All round a mystery this one.

Luke

fridg
13-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Oil from fridge systems, I think especially mineral oils, do ignite and I'm sure they can give a nasty burn that might need to be bandaged. The system has to be open to the atmosphere for oxygen to fuel the burning oil. A partially charged system is not likely to allow burning of the oil because the fast escaping oxygen free refrigerant will extinguish any likelyhood similar to those halogens used as fire retardents in older computer rooms. If there was oxygen within the system then the unit itself would have exploded leaving little guesswork for the coroner.

Similar goes for the hydrocarbon theories.

According to the report, the youngster was found crouched right next to the unit in the fetal position. I could be mistaken but I thought the fetal position (and red eyes) were symptoms of death by asphyxiation ??????

Thanks Mark

now i understand a little better

Could this bloke which i have heard and seen reports in
America that people are inhaling refrigerants

I could be wrong and i would not like to defamate
this poor blokes name
is it possible that he just inhaled some refrigerant
passed out , and fell on to his torch , burning and
asphyxiating him.

slingblade
14-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Here is the direct link to the video DOGMA

http://www.vasa.org.au/images/movies/hc_demo.mov

LOL. "as you can see ive burnt my hands and my hair" what on earth did they expect to happen?

abdulazman
14-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Fridg,
In the begining have you read the first thread pertaining to this column and incident?

abdulazman
14-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Fridg,
Yeah mate, you put oxy in an enclosed container with small amount of oil in it and sit beside it. See what'll happen.:D:D
Maybe I got some brief detail on oil ignition, I'll put it in pdf format and post it here.:o