PDA

View Full Version : Plant room night time cycles, general ??

mingualez
21-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi there guys.

I posted a thread recently regarding a plant room at a "M" brand major supermartket that is causing me a disturbance at my home, which is approx 30 meters away from front grill of plant room situated on first floor The grill is an adapted window opening approx 1.5 x 1m. The noise isn't helped by the fact there is a multi storey car cark within 10m of plant room which plays a horrible role in the acoustics.
My main question is. The units seem to kick in at a higher level at 9.30pm-7am when the store is closed which ups the noise to a nuisance level ie low drone in my property, though in the street it is a loud medium tone, fan and motor I guess. Progressively getting louder as it's running. Usually by 12am it has reached it's noisiest point.
I know that you may suggest that the street is quieter so I may notice it more. But this really isn't the case. Why would the plant room generate more noise through the night as opposed to a reasonable level of a day. Is there some sort of typical cycle??
Please bare with me, refrigeration is not my domain.

Thanks in advance?

vaporcraft
21-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I have encountered this personally (it was also addressed in university). The main culprit is the air temperature night. Colder air transmits noise stronger and farther than warmer air. Think about how whales can communicate over of hundreds of miles underwater, and how double-glazed windows seem to dampen noise. Any noises such as vehicles or conversation will be louder and clearer at night, and not just because there is less ambient noise to drown them out.

At night markets and anything with cooling equipment will start up and run less often because there is much less heat entering the chilled spaces, so there should be less noise at night compared with the many machine starts during the day.

richelli
21-11-2012, 11:25 PM
I know that certain supermarkets go to far lengths to reduce the noise from there machinery to surrounding properties. Have you been and talked to the supermarket in question? Does the noise affect any of your neighbours? If so they may do something about it as they don't like to annoy the people around them as they are there customers? And regarding the equipment being louder, if anything the equipment would normally be a little quieter if the store is closed as the blinds are down on the cases and doors shut to save energy so the machinery wouldn't run as much, and its cooler on a night which helps. wheather this is a noticeable difference though is debatable.

Magoo
22-11-2012, 01:28 AM
There are laws about noise levels in residential areas, example 65dbA in open feild at one metre.., insist that market owners install accoustic silencers, your local authourty / council will back you up.

Greg McMoses
22-11-2012, 07:57 AM
hmmm fixing the problem is relatively simple. Making someone else pay- more difficult. Have you consulted the centre management?

Greg McMoses
22-11-2012, 08:00 AM
had a client once whos neighbour lobbed a star picket through the condenser for a similar issue...

mingualez
23-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for replies.

Yes have spoken to the store I have had a year of trouble with delivery noise etc. This is just another string to their bow. The store manager is an arse! The company are not as bad but go on what he feeds them.

The council- They don't do jack when it comes to the big boys. I am currently taking action against Braintree Council for failure to deal with environment issues.

Re- Condenser.. If only- this is a large concealed plant room. It's a Morrisons store.

r.bartlett
24-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Thanks for replies.

Yes have spoken to the store I have had a year of trouble with delivery noise etc. This is just another string to their bow. The store manager is an arse! The company are not as bad but go on what he feeds them.

The council- They don't do jack when it comes to the big boys. I am currently taking action against Braintree Council for failure to deal with environment issues.

Re- Condenser.. If only- this is a large concealed plant room. It's a Morrisons store.

As before - you need to get the neighbours onside with a petition which will give your argument more weight. Buy a cheap noise meter off ebay for 20 quid and send in the results. speak to the EHO and take it from there.

I don't buy your theory that the council won't take action against a supermarket btw I wonder if there is more to this than you say.....

mingualez
24-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks for replies. And appreciate ideas. But came here for technical insight. Please no offence intended.

we had a residents association when store took over from somerfield a year ago as they have been shocking. Terrible delivery noise, alarms, retrospective planning, listed trees cut down etc. No fines implimented, just asked them to replace the trees that were felled. Disgraceful!
Statutory nuisance in the delivery respect is very hard to nail down as there are not set guidelines to follow, like perhaps with plant/ AC etc. And still then it is just recommended and not law, according to what the council have told me. I have even quoted the guidelines of BS4142 and susequant up keep. Which they dismissed as irrelevant.
We have done the local papers met with morrisons big wigs. Out of a terrace of 12 half have sold or have houses up, so have pulled out the fight. There is nothing that hasn't been done bar full on internet campaign, which may happen.
Getting back to plant room. The council here in Braintree run scared of shelling out of a court case and so let all the major stores get away with murder. I think you'll find a few brown envelopes fly about also. We have three tesco's two of which are massive superstores in a 5 mile radius in the town. Does that sound straight council planning? Plus a Sainsbury superstore and a Asda superstore are coming.

"I don't buy your theory that the council won't take action against a supermarket btw I wonder if there is more to this than you say....."

That sounds like a statement from someone who has a connection with local authority lol. I have nothing to hide I have coughed all up above. The council here are a joke when it comes to matters against major stores. Just for the hell of it, I'll add a youtube like that shows what the council think is an acceptable way of operating for Morrisons. Bare in mind the previous store managed to run without all this going on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ112IAMZ2s

install monkey
24-11-2012, 12:42 PM
accidently plow a bull dozer through it!

monkey spanners
24-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Find Morrisons managements home tel no.s phone them at 2am when the noise wakes you up, tell them if you can't sleep neither can they....

fridg
12-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Get some VLT drives & that will reduce noise considerably
Plant rooms with these installed sound absolutely amazing with the ramp up and down

I have noticed the noise in these rooms is a hell of a lot less than before & the energy saving
would be noticed straight away buy the retailer.