PDA

View Full Version : Help with stal r5 mk2 and manual

Jerine Babu
19-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi All,
My client has a Stal Mini R5 Mk2 compressor for Air Conditioning on one of their vessels. We haven't worked on Stal screws before and it would be great if you could point me to a service manual.

Recently, the vessel crew had removed and re installed the compressor motor after repairs. Upon next attendance we noticed an increased loss of oil and refrigerant through the drain.

Given that the compressor is directly mounted onto motor, what could be the probable cause of increased oil loss? Do these compressors have separate seals for the rotors?

Please excuse my ignorance as i'm working on a Stal screw for the first time. Would really appreciate that service manual!

Thanks
Jerine

torque
21-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi Jerine
The Stal R5 has the shaft seal fitted to the motor, not the compressor so if you are seeing excessive oil loss you will have to lift the compressor off the motor again to replace .
Now is were the problem starts .
The R5 s a bugger to try and identify what seal arrangement is fitted without having it in your hands .
I would say take a note of all the information you can get off the compressor and skid and contact your nearest Johnson Controls (Sabroe ) supplier and see if they can help .
If you send me your email address I will have a look through what I have on the R5 and i am happy to email you it .
Good Luck

Jerine Babu
29-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi torque
Thanks for your response:) Apologies for the delay but dint get any updates from the site 'bout ur reply.

We've taken off the motor and like you said, the shaft seal's damaged. Sent the shaft seal to WARTSILA for renewal but not sure if it'll hold. Haven't got a response from JC yet for my parts query either.

My email address is jerinebabu@gmail.com. Please forward any docs you might have on the mk2 version.
Thanks!

torque
14-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi Jerine
Hope the information I have sent you to your Gmail account is of use to you .
Have a good Christmas

Jerine Babu
23-12-2012, 07:50 AM
HI Torque
Thank you so much for the files. Helped save a lot of time and effort.
Wish you a very merry Christmas!

Grizzly
23-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Spoken by a man that knows exactly what he is talking about.
I have worked alongside a Stal engineer who has been known to spend an age. Trying to identify with Sabroe
UK, just which coloured O ring is applicable.

They last for ever if fitted correctly even I am happy to let the select few fit them.

You have me intrigued torque!
Grizzly

Magoo
23-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi Jerine,
I would recomend you also replace the motor bearings at same time, expensive C4 bearings, generally the bearing is root cause of shaft seal failure and oil leaks.