PDA

View Full Version : using air conditioning cond for fridge application...

rbartlett
09-01-2006, 02:27 PM
hi guy's

a customer wants a cellar cooler but as it's in a residential area noise is a real issue.

i remember peter using an a/c split condenser for fridge trailers etc...

i can get some Hitachi 407c splits cheap so throwing out the evap and using a proper evaporator coil sounds the best thing

i would also rip out the electronics and just use an eliwell controller.

is this the way out on this??

cheers

richard

Abe
09-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Richard

Pse keep us informed how you get on as Im really intrested in doing same.

Pictures as well will be just great

Thx

Peter_1
09-01-2006, 06:34 PM
As you mentioned, we did it many times and this since more then 10-12 years.

We even did it last year some times with the cheap Shining units and sold some PCB's back to Shining so that they have spare-parts now.

We even use the capillary and the gas of the outdoor unit.
If you need 3 kW at -7°C, then you need a unit that's rated at 6 kW.

What we also do Richard is installing a HP on the outdoor fan to maintain a stable HP, especially in winter with the then oversized condensors.

frank
09-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I've done it a few times using IMI MCU+ condesing units on R22 with Searle evaps. One good thing about the IMI units is the head pressure control.

Temprite
09-01-2006, 08:37 PM
G'day guys.

We did this recently(about 6 months ago) with a 10 kw Carrier outdoor unit.Definetely works installed a reciever and TX valve.

This unit was out of warranty.

Peter did you have anything fail under warranty and if so how did you go getting the warranty.(Got a feeling I might have asked you this before on your refrigerated trailers.)

I am pretty sure all warranty would be void if I was to do it here.

BritCit_Juve
09-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Why mot use pone of Marstairs CX cellar coolers with the cheaper CKR condensing units which are chinese manufactured and very quiet. Pipe run would be limited to 15m though.
Another option would be to use a Marstair DCU+ ducted condensing unit instead of the CKR although this would be more expensive- it is Marstair after all- the unit would match easily with their CX cellar coolers and give a 3 year warranty

Brit

Peter_1
09-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Temprite,

They're so cheap that we will not discuss this issue.
We never had in fact a problem with it.
And we still have an indoor unit in stock which we can change.
Shining Belgium even has no spare parts for the smaller systems because complete units are cheaper.
The Mitsubishi units we installed +/- 8 years ago are still working and Mitsubishi knew that we should use only the outdoor units for cooling purposes.

Brit, can you give me a website of these units? What do they cost +/-?

See also http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165

joseph
09-01-2006, 10:03 PM
hi my name is joseph and new on your site. pal i think what u r doing is great. i tried and succeeded in a similar conversion but on a smaller scale, using an old westpoint w/wall unit24000 btu. it's still running rusted and coroded.customer still satisfied. s.africa

rbartlett
09-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Why mot use pone of Marstairs CX cellar coolers with the cheaper CKR condensing units which are chinese manufactured and very quiet. Pipe run would be limited to 15m though.
Another option would be to use a Marstair DCU+ ducted condensing unit instead of the CKR although this would be more expensive- it is Marstair after all- the unit would match easily with their CX cellar coolers and give a 3 year warranty

Brit

quite possibly because mastair is s.h.i.t.e ,unreliable poorly made, very very noisy and far too expensive

apart from that they're the J-O-B

cheers

richard

rbartlett
09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Temprite,

They're so cheap that we will not discuss this issue.
We never had in fact a problem with it.
And we still have an indoor unit in stock which we can change.
Shining Belgium even has no spare parts for the smaller systems because complete units are cheaper.
The Mitsubishi units we installed +/- 8 years ago are still working and Mitsubishi knew that we should use only the outdoor units for cooling purposes.

Brit, can you give me a website of these units? What do they cost +/-?

See also http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165

i can get a 3.5kw heat pump (handy for defrosts;-) for £150 an eliwell + a new fridge evap -so bits all in for £500.

This will be exactly what the customer wants and he will love us to bits.

the capacity reduction shouldn't be excessive as we are looking at +10 c room temp so evap at -5/0 c and as it's a cellar iin a guy's home below ground the 'load' is about 1kw

cheers

richard

Peter_1
10-01-2006, 06:50 AM
We leave it in place and it works fine so...:D