PDA

View Full Version : Copper Pipe - Split Sytem. Sizes?

stickthis
10-11-2012, 04:10 AM
Gday.

Im in australia if that makes any differance.

I have a 2 Samsung 2.5kw (1hp) split systems to install.

The Samsungs are suggesting for me to use 3/8", 1/4" twin copper tube.
I already have a 20 meter box of new 1/2", 1/4" dual insulated tube that I brought for a previous split system install and never used. Its still clean and capped ends in the box. And its enough to do both Samsung split systems.

Can I use a larger size than what is reccomended in the samsung installation info?

If not why? It wouldnt be restricting it? There should be enough gas at they are gassed for 15m? and mine will be 10m max.

Cheers!
Jason

chemi-cool
10-11-2012, 09:05 AM
You did not state the length of the pipes.
If it is up to 3 meters, I don't see any problems apart from the connection size, 3\8 > 1\2. you will have to braze a small piece of 3\8 at the end of each 1\2 pipe.

install monkey
10-11-2012, 10:38 AM
generally it would be ok but youll have to buy a roll of 3/8 anyway to connect to the flares

moideen
10-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Gday.Im in australia if that makes any differance.I have a 2 Samsung 2.5kw (1hp) split systems to install.The Samsungs are suggesting for me to use 3/8", 1/4" twin copper tube. I already have a 20 meter box of new 1/2", 1/4" dual insulated tube that I brought for a previous split system install and never used. Its still clean and capped ends in the box. And its enough to do both Samsung split systems.Can I use a larger size than what is reccomended in the samsung installation info? If not why? It wouldnt be restricting it? There should be enough gas at they are gassed for 15m? and mine will be 10m max. Cheers!JasonMainly the size of suction/liquid line depends on the equivalent length and type of refrigerant. Normally it is calculated by design charts. Please find the link and download the software for pipe sizer.http://www.saravel.com/tools.php?id=18

Grizzly
10-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the link Moideen.
I shall have a play with the softwares available from your link later.
Grizzly

stickthis
11-11-2012, 12:57 AM
You did not state the length of the pipes.
If it is up to 3 meters, I don't see any problems apart from the connection size, 3\8 > 1\2. you will have to braze a small piece of 3\8 at the end of each 1\2 pipe.

Cheers for all the comments. Im a machinist by trade so making/adapting fittings is not a problem.
The installation manual reccomends max of 15m long and max of 8m high. I will be a max of 10m long and a max of 3m high.

So there is no issues with the pipe being too large and supplying too much gas and flooding it? I was told that it will from a aircond installer place that wanted me to buy new 3/8 pipe from them instead of using the 1/2" stuff I already have....

stickthis
11-11-2012, 12:59 AM
The outdoor unit is charged with R410A

AGSelec
11-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Well , if I was the installer I would say the same. Nothing annoys me more than when customers start wanting you to use some gear they got from a mate, which is not the right stuff anyway.

Just get it done the way it was designed. I have done it , and the only reason I have for doing it was laziness

stickthis
11-11-2012, 02:54 AM
The installer I gather wants me to buy their product. At first they said it would restrict the system. When I said but its bigger lines the lady behind the counter said oh yeh. Then it will flood the system. Seems crap to me?

The pipe I have is brand new in the box. I brought for a previous aircond system I installed. I ordered 2 boxes and only used 1. So I have 20m of pipe. Thats approx $250 worth. So I should just chuck that away?

AGSelec
11-11-2012, 05:00 AM
The answers are all in the thread. Probably ok to do. Your installer doesn't want to use your pipe. Move on to next installer lots of them in Queensland. You may however have some problems with a warranty guy if something is wrong within the system. They may look for a reason not to pay up and blame the installation, and it will not be installed as per manufactures instructions. Best of luck. Selec

stickthis
11-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Cheers. Yeh fair call.

install monkey
11-11-2012, 09:47 AM
buy a 5 kw ac unit, they req 1/2 and 1/4 lines- job done!:p

stickthis
11-11-2012, 10:40 AM
HAHA! Yeh thats what I brought this pipe for originally. I have a 8kw one and two 2.5kw ones to install. 8kw one needs 5/8.