PDA

View Full Version : TK CDIIMax Discharging Battery

djbe
08-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Has anybody got any suggestions on this one?

CDIIMax runs fine on diesel, charging O.K.

Runs fine on electric most of the time then other times the customer comes in to find the fridge has stopped and the battery is totally discharged.

The alternator brushpack is new, several other trucks run off the same mains power circuit and they are all O.K.

There is no sign of a drain on the battery i.e when you attach the jump leads there is not even the slightest spark.

We've had it at the workshop for 3 days and it ran absolutely perfect.

I've checked all the usual CD problem areas where the wires chafe but they are alright.

Ideas anyone?:confused:

Regards,
djbe.

Latte
08-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi Djbe,

Sorry, i am a bit out of date with these, KDII more my forte. However, i am sure you have checked this but start at the basics and go from there. Is the Battery charging on electric, At what voltage. Is the elec motor goping too slow and not charging. Are all the wires on the back tight and terminals solid. I lost count how many times i had to jump a 4 wheeler because that STUPID :eek: !!!! single thread Sense wire was loose or had come out of the terminal.

As far as is usual, the only difference between engine and electric whats drives the units, everyting else stays the same. MRW or Reeferjon will tell me if i am wrong and some strange goes on with the software

Regards

Fatboy

djbe
08-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Rdocwra,

Give me a KDII over a CD anyday.

Yes the unit charges on electric O.k and all of the other things that you suggested are fine.

I don't think the problem occurs when the unit is running but more when it gets to set temp.

I think maybe it is not coming back on when it calls for cool and then possibly doesn't cut back in?

Forgot to mention that the battery is brand new and drop tests O.k.

regards,
djbe

Latte
08-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi,

You will have to help me out on this one, What type of controller has it got, assuming its a TG-V or later. What is the unit set at, is it running fresh where at this time of year it could be hours before it needs to come back on again, thinking as i am typeing, have you put an ampclamp on it while it is shutdown, the unit should probably only draw 1amp while it is at setpoint as only the control circuit should be energised, is there a drain somewhere on the circuit, solonoid coil pulling in would soon drain the battery. The battery would have to be really flat for that not to allow the unit to run, when i used to get called out to a unit that wouldn't start on diesel i would try it on 3 phase and let it charge that way. The later SR versions obviously switch over to diesel if the battery goes too flat but this doesn't help in this case.

Any information would be helpfull

Regards

Ray

Brian_UK
08-01-2006, 10:37 PM
.....We've had it at the workshop for 3 days and it ran absolutely perfect......I don't know anything about these units but have you considered sabotage at the depot - an unhappy driver or ground worker perhaps ??

Latte
08-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Hi Brian,

Didn't think of even looking at it that way but yes certainly a possibility.

Driver lost load, "i plugged it in honestly", loss of power at socket, switched on diesel not electric and circuit breaker not blowing.

This is the case when all you can do is check it over in the workshop, make a note on your'e jobsheet of everything you have checked and send it out again

Regards

Ray

djbe
01-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Well 3 weeks on and the customer still hasn't called to arrange to bring the truck in.

Means that it was being messed about with or they decided it's cold enough at this time of year.

If the latter is the case you can bet they will be on the phone when the weather warms up, probably wanting it look at immediately:)

Anyway thanks for the suggestions guys.