PDA

View Full Version : C and G 7189 or 6087

will89
06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Hi, i am currently working for a A/C firm while going to college. I am in my 2nd year at college, and my college has chosen the route of the new city and guilds 7189 qualification. For an additional £400 they will also register me on the 6087 NVQ aswell. I just wanted some opions wheather it is worth doing the 6087 aswell, or is this new 7189, going to be the new industry standard recongnised qualification.

Cheers

Rob White
08-11-2012, 12:05 AM

The 7189 is a Heating and Ventilation qualification.

You will be learning about water heating systems and water chillers.
It is not a refrigeration or AC qualification but a heating and Ventilation
qualification which may be argued as being different to pure refrigeration,
which the 6087 is. But to do the 6087 you must do the 6127 technical cert
first and that combined with the 6087 is a 2 to 3 year course as well.

I think they will combine the two, teach the two as one big course and then
let you sit all the exams and achieve both the qualifications.

Be aware that the 6087 has been superceded by the 6187 so it is now an
out of date qual.

Regards

Rob

will89
09-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Well I don't think that the 7189 is a heating and ventilation qual, on the city and guilds website the 7189 description is level 2 diploma in refrigeration, air con and heat pump systems, this what I am already signed on to, as for the NVQ the last registration for the 6087 is the end of the year. I know the 6087 is going to be an old qual, but I know it is an industry recognised qual. Whereas the 7189 is new this year and not a lot is known about it in the industry at the mo. This is why I am not sure whether to pay the extra for the NVQ.

Cheers
will

Rob White
10-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Well I don't think that the 7189 is a heating and ventilation qual, on the city and guilds website the 7189 description is level 2 diploma in refrigeration, air con and heat pump systems, this what I am already signed on to, as for the NVQ the last registration for the 6087 is the end of the year. I know the 6087 is going to be an old qual, but I know it is an industry recognised qual. Whereas the 7189 is new this year and not a lot is known about it in the industry at the mo. This is why I am not sure whether to pay the extra for the NVQ.

Cheers
will

Hi Will you are right I looked up the incorrect qualification.

It is a diploma in refrigeration.

A few questions?

Where are you doing the course?
If you are in your second year what are you studying at the moment?
How long do they plan to take to deliver the course?
Who is paying for the course? YOU or your company?

The diploma seems to be of a high level, but refrigeration is refrigeration
and what they teach in the diploma is only what the NVQ covers.

The NVQ requires on site experience portfolio building, so you must be working
in the industry to complete the work based learning, the diploma does not.

The 6087 has been superceded by the 6187 so look that one up and see
if that meets your needs.

Also to do the 6087 you must do the Tech Cert as well (6127) so look into
that qualification.

Questions, questions, questions.................. :p

Oh by the way for £400 if they plan on giving you the 6127 and 6087 then
that is not a bad deal but remember you can't do the 6087 on it's own,
so it is useless without the Tech Cert.

Regards

Rob

will89
26-11-2012, 11:05 PM
i am studying at the college of north west london. i am a 2nd year student, the first the year we done a EAL qualifcation which was called a introduction to engineering, i think this is how they are getting round not doing the 6127. And i will have 7189 by the end of this academic year (june 2013). after doing some research myself aswell i think the 7189 will be more than enough for me. like you said refrigeration is refrigeration!!

Rob White
27-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Unless something has changed since the introduction of the 6187 they will not be able
to claim the 6087 without the 6127 first. If City & Guilds have changed it and the NVQ
can be claimed then it would be worth it.

You say you work for an AC company? The 6087 NVQ is work based anyway so it won't
take much from the college (you do all the work) you will be expected to do jobs and
then write them up in a portfolio, including evidence such as photos, job sheets and
such like.

The college will also visit you (or they should) on site and then that evidence will be included
into your portfolio.

Looks looks a busy year for you :p :cool:

All the best

Rob