PDA

View Full Version : Grounded Copeland Hermetic New Install

Royal241
05-11-2012, 02:10 AM
2 months ago I installed a 1HP 3Ph 404a walk in cooler. I did a test run for 2 days, no problem. Unit was shut down, today construction of restaurant is over and inspector coming tomorrow (health inspector). Owner turned all the stuff on but the cooler didn't work. I found the compressor grounded, what did it? I shut it down (2 months ago) from a pump down switch inside the cooler that shuts down the solenoid and fans. In the mean time we had a bad storm around here, but owner said they didn't lose power. I will replace compressor in the morning, but I just don't want to believe that **** happens. So, any suggestions? Voltage is good all across, protector was opened and never reset itself, I bypassed it to see what happens, nothing happened, I was getting voltage all across 3 terminals but no amperage, that's what makes me scratch my balls, breaker didn't trip, all connections tight, no acid, I kicked (boot kicked) the compressor, checked for ground and now was no more. I checked resistance and I had none across 2 winding terminals (must've moved brains out of the comp with my kick). What happened here? What caused it to get grounded in off cycle? Any suggestions would be nice, would really jump start my brain, I ran out of ideas, Thanks and cheers guys.

Magoo
05-11-2012, 03:05 AM
Hi.
was the sump heater operating during shut down period?.

lowcool
06-11-2012, 02:10 AM
no idea at all royal,maybe magoo is suggesting winding overheat but i dont know.
reminded me of an ice maker clean donkeys years ago,removed the neutral from the compressor so as to have water circulation.finished cleaning reassembled everything,switched it on same thing windings to earth,customer got a free compressor as he wouldnt hear of windings being partially down to earth before hand,buggered if i know what else could have caused it

Magoo
06-11-2012, 03:24 AM
Hi Lowcool.
i was thinking along lines of oil saturated with refrigerant, cold start oil gone , compressor seized.

Royal241
08-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Here is what I found: at the compressor we have black yellow red terminal wires. the black goes through an external overload, there is also an internal overload. I followed the wires to the main electric panel. This is a 3 phase panel feeds are black red blue. What I did find was at the breaker the wires didn't correspond to right color: had red to black, white to blue, black to red. I rewired the breaker so I have from the main feed black to black, red to red, blue to yellow all the way to the compressor. I have to learn more about the phase thing (panel wise), but so far I believe that was what went wrong, wrong voltage to compressor winding, like I said, I have to look more into this for the future, any suggestions? I replaced compressor and it runs as was intended to, nice all around.

Magoo
09-11-2012, 02:55 AM
We understood that system ran fine before shut down for period of time. What changed in the interum. Power supply to building and main control panel perhaps during renovations. You may have recourse for costs of extra replacement recent.