PDA

View Full Version : What's the thermal range of a domestic chest freezer?

jonno6766
07-01-2006, 06:27 AM
I need to store produce at 39 deg F (4 deg C) for 4 months and would like to know if a domestic chest freezer is able to maintain that temperature. There will only be one type of produce stored in the box in cardboard boxes so nothing else is vulnerable to deterioration.

Thanks

Jonathan

Peter_1
07-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Also a good-day day to you. :o
It all depends on the make.
Liebherr's can do this.

chillin out
07-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Why dont you buy a fridge instead of a freezer?:confused:

Liebherr
Nice fridges them.

Chillin:) :)

jonno6766
09-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Thanks Peter.

Hi Chillin.

There are a few reasons, most of them will make you wonder why you asked.

1. I live/exist on a pensions due to physical disability so finances are permanently stretched.

2. My disability is due to chemical poisoning that has damaged multiple organs including airways, liver, kidneys, intestines, sight, skin, senses of taste, touch and smell all of which alter metabolic processes and also alters brain function. The airways and intestinal damage affects my diet dramatically and there is only one type of potato that I can swallow and digest without chronic multiple organ reactions. I'm also able to manage one type of pumpkin and one cut of beef and each needs to be cooked in a way that doesn't alter the enzymes in such a way that aggravates my airways with an anaphylactic type reaction.

3. Medical monitoring of this condition is not covered by public, private insurances or workers compensation so I have to pay for all medical expenses.... and they are frequently far higher than I can afford but necessary.

4. The type of potatoes are transported from Tasmania to Victoria, Australia specifically for me because even the way they are grown has to be a specific type of organic farming which is not used in many locations throughout Australia. No other farmer will do the type of potato with the horticulture to suit my health needs. For that reason I order 200kgs every three months. So when it comes to storing them in the fridge, there are not many cheap fridges that are able to cope with the weight, volume and shape of this quantity of potatoes. So that brings me back to the original proposed freezer as the internal shape is more conducive to the volume, weight, shape and price that I can afford.

Sorry for the detail Chillin but awareness of these types of health related problems is not widely publicized due to corporate control of media and medicine. I've become quite factual about these issues so please don't feel like you asked the wrong question.

Abe
09-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I need to store produce at 39 deg F (4 deg C) for 4 months and would like to know if a domestic chest freezer is able to maintain that temperature. There will only be one type of produce stored in the box in cardboard boxes so nothing else is vulnerable to deterioration.

Thanks

Jonathan

Johnno

Reading your post again, ask a fridge guy to put a refrigerator stat on your chest freezer, it will work just fine.

I have done it many times with no problems.

Good Luck

chillin out
09-01-2006, 08:45 PM
2. My disability is due to chemical poisoning that has damaged multiple organs including airways, liver, kidneys, intestines, sight, skin, senses of taste, touch and smell all of which alter metabolic processes and also alters brain function.
Out of intrest, and fear of comming into contact with it, what chemical was it?

Also if you are going to use a chest freezer as a fridge be cafefull of the condensation inside that it doesnt come into contact with the product.

There is a few problems with running a freezer as a fridge...

1. Where to postion the stat sensor

2. Condensation forming inside

3. The comp might over-heat and fail

4. The comp might short-cycle and fail

5. How to get an even temp throughout the case

Good luck

Hope you feel good and can laugh.:)

Chillin:) :)

jonno6766
10-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Out of interest, and fear of coming into contact with it, what chemical was it?

Also if you are going to use a chest freezer as a fridge be carefully of the condensation inside that it doesn't come into contact with the product.

There is a few problems with running a freezer as a fridge...

1. Where to position the stat sensor

2. Condensation forming inside

3. The comp might over-heat and fail

4. The comp might short-cycle and fail

5. How to get an even temp throughout the case

Good luck

Hope you feel good and can laugh.

Primarily: Toluene, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Naphtha (petrol),

Secondary: Metal including Bromide, Aluminium

Third: Diesel emissions and Kerosene.

It was a hazardous work place, due to the employers absolute denial of adverse health effects from each and all exposures combined.

There are about 80,000 chemicals being manufactured these days and less than 4,000 of them have been fully tested for toxicity but mainly regarding lethal dose (LD) and moderate exposure levels.

My chemical poisoning was the result of long-term high-level intermittent exposures that combined to make the onset of symptoms delayed.

All because the MSDS claims to have no known adverse health effects it is probably because the MSDS has listed a few chemicals so the sum of those particular chemicals combined have not been researched. For example, fragrance such as Ambi Pur AC plug in dispensers can contain up to some three-thousand chemicals that are known to be toxic yet it is marketed by Sara Lee as safe.

Aftershave is known to have a narcotic effect.

In Australia research from motor vehicle insurance companies claimed that 50% of motor vehicle accidents occur near or after refueling at petrol (gas) stations.

This one is funny, manufacturers of drinks such as Coke claim that plastic bottles are carcinogenic after they have been used. Plastic is plastic and it is know to be carcinogenic.... why should the first use be exempted from scientific research? May I suggest $$$

Patented product such as Glyphosate aka Round Up and know to be highly toxic yet the marketing claims it to be safe and only targets specific plants. In my view, organophosphates are designed to kill plants.... and anything else in their path. The brain impairment is specifically related to hearing memory.

Just how safe is DIY Mortein according to the adds on TV. I haven't read the lable on the container but I'm sure it would say something to the effect of toxic. Try asking for a MSDS on this product... it may take an act of Parliament and they are commonly exempted from disclosure do to "Trade Secrets". I'm yet to understand the difference in toxicity of active and inert ingredients.

This is one that doesn't get much airplay: Aspartame converts to methanol then into formaldehyde in the body. As both formaldehyde and benzene are both known carcinogens at very low concentrations, why do people consume one and not the other? Because people are not informed and they are not taught to think critically these days. So the contentious issues of oil wells co-existing in school grounds is disputed vigorously by those who control the dollar$.

In a society of instant coffee and McWatevers, disease is accumulative and progressive so no one asks the questions about how cancer or any other disease develops. My condition was accumulative and progressive like cooking a live frog starting with cold water.

Regarding doctors. Many I've spoken to frequently report to not read many medical journals except for the associations that they are members of. Are we at their mercy? It is rare for any patient to spend more than 10 minutes with their doctor on any given visit. What's more, doctors receive on average 4-6 hours on toxicology and that is in regards to emergency medicine only. There is no space in these 4-6 hours for long-term low-level exposures so it is more common to prescribe antidepressants than to determine the cause of the effect/s. Many conditions of chemical poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, eye and/or airway irritation (asthma) or depression and possibly impaired memory and/or concentration. So the common result of any short consultation is pain killers, asthma medications and an antidepressant. (My medical appointments are usually between 30 to 60 minutes long... and I rarely walk out with any prescription or medication, may be one or two supplements that I usually react too).

Between 2-6.3% of the US population is chronically affected by low levels of chemical exposures. About half of them are chronically disabled on a daily basis by varying symptoms that is related to detocxification pathways of the liver.

16% are sensitive to chemical odours in the US. In NSW, Australia 24.6% are sensitive to chemical odours yet only 2.9% are diagnosed with chemical sensitivity.

How do you avoid being affected throughout you life?

By planning for the future and not doing the quickest and easiest way unless it is proven to be the safest.... scientifically!

Regarding the Freezer:

I can avoid the moisture contact.

I'm guessing that stat sensor needs to be located somewhere near the bottom where it's the coldest.

Maintain some form of airflow and I can probably use one or two 6" fans.

I still laugh, but mostly at the scams that chemical companies and the media attempt. The interesting thing is that I feel more productive and content in life than before I became ill... I still don't understand that. :D

cruzeiros
10-01-2006, 11:14 AM
and with no connection to subject and sorry for that... this is the world we live in and rarely we find ourselves doing something about it. recently i have seen a documentary about extreme poverty in my country and it just seems unbelieveble..how people don't have a thing to put on their's children table (even an ordinary potato).. what about other things like chlotes, toys etc. and i think about my child ( is 5 months old :) ) if somehow i could end up like those people..i can't even imagine how this could be but i'm feeling only this: pain and sometimes i wonder...if that's the world for my child to grow in.. and oh God..what can i do ?!?!?

i don't know what made me post this...next time i'll try to stay on the subject