PDA

View Full Version : Best way to turn a large air cooled remote condenser

coldseeker2012
21-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Good morning to everyone.
Last week I had to go to a remote rural area of my country in order to inspect some new equipment which is to be installed in a refrigerated wharehouse. One of the equipments is a large remote air cooled condenser with vertical air discharge:it is about 2.50 meters wide by 7.5 meters long with 10 fans. I was very surprised to know, as we opened the container, that this condenser was shipped standing on one of its sides, on a wooden platform. The supporting legs were not installed but in another box. We were able to pull the condenser out of the container with the help of a tractor, and laid it down on a flat surface. My question is: is there any standard procedure to turn this size of a condenser 90 degrees, in order to have the fans pointing upwards? To complicate things, in this area there is no way to rent a forklift or mobile crane, so that we must do the job manually. Any advice welcomed.

Brian_UK
21-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Can you attach the legs while it is on it's side?

If so, then try and use your tractor to pull it upright using an 'A' frame type structure to carry the rope at a higher level.

frank
22-10-2012, 11:14 AM
It may not have been designed to operate horizontally.

I had some remote condensers made recently that were designed to stand vertically and discharge horizontally.

Once they were installed, the customer said he didn't like the look of them and had us take them down and install horizontal units with vertical discharge.

When we asked the manufacturer to provide legs for the corners so we could re-fit them on site, they advised that, due to the way the pipework had been designed in the coils, they would not work.

We ended up scrapping them and having new ones built.

All I'm saying is, check that it can be used horizontally before you add legs to the corners ;)

r.bartlett
22-10-2012, 12:29 PM
It may not have been designed to operate horizontally.

I had some remote condensers made recently that were designed to stand vertically and discharge horizontally.

Once they were installed, the customer said he didn't like the look of them and had us take them down and install horizontal units with vertical discharge.

When we asked the manufacturer to provide legs for the corners so we could re-fit them on site, they advised that, due to the way the pipework had been designed in the coils, they would not work.

We ended up scrapping them and having new ones built.

All I'm saying is, check that it can be used horizontally before you add legs to the corners ;)

Crumbs you've got some rich customer up there frank!

Magoo
23-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Hello coldseeker.
suggest that you talk to equipment supplier about the assembly instruction details. If you assemble incorrectly then the result problems are at your cost.

frank
23-10-2012, 08:58 AM
It was down in London, Richard....where they apparently have loadsa money ;)

Before
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/frankyboy_01/Baker%20Street/DSCN1356.jpg
After
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/frankyboy_01/Baker%20Street/2011-09-21104329.jpg

Coorsman777
23-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Those condensers look close together? Do they fight each other to get enough air volume?

r.bartlett
23-10-2012, 03:53 PM
It was down in London, Richard....where they apparently have loadsa money ;)

Before
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/frankyboy_01/Baker%20Street/DSCN1356.jpg
After
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o38/frankyboy_01/Baker%20Street/2011-09-21104329.jpg

London is where the money is -hope they aren't discharging onto that daikin unit there!

Would not side by side discharging out not work better?

frank
23-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Those condensers look close together? Do they fight each other to get enough air volume?
If you look closely, they discharge out the front of the fans so draw air in from between the units.

It never happened though as we had to take them down before we commissioned them.