PDA

View Full Version : Honeywell license $1000 bucks

hawks
21-10-2012, 03:59 AM
There is a customer who owns a large retail store chain in every state of australia, one of the largest a/c companies in Victoria, has a service contract with them, they subcontract to a large A/C company in my state of australia, then we subcontract to them in the local area, then we subcontract to them in the local area.

The problem I have is one of the companies came up to one of our sites and installed a honeywell spyder controller to control heating, cooling, spill, return and fresh air dampers, however they did not set the time clock properly.

The store manager has asked me on many occations to adjust the time clock yet I dont have a license with this honeywell or a copy of the software.

I have told the 2nd contracting company who installed the controller to send up a copy of the software but they wont as they claiming its copy write protected, and the license for the software is $1000.

the customer has paid for the controller and installation surely they have a legal right to a copy of the software so that I can maintain their equipment.

HVACRsaurus
21-10-2012, 04:22 AM
That old chestnut..

Is there a way to adjust the schedule from the controller menu?

If this a recently installed device, wouldn't rectification of kind of issue be covered by a warranty or defect period?

hawks
21-10-2012, 05:55 AM
The controller menu is only allowing me to adjust store temps for the north and south zones, maybee I can alter the controllers menus with the software, but that is something honeywell and the installer is refusing to supply.

The right full legal owner of the controller is the owner of the building, they the ones who have paid for the controller and installation, yet they have not been given a copy of the software, does that not appear a little odd.

Why should I pay $1000 to adjust a time clock and why should customer pay a further $1000 It just dosent seem right.

cool_tech
21-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I think I know the retailer you are talking about. I have done work in these stores. Most times the store manager or retailer hvac manager has the pasword to get higher access .

frank
22-10-2012, 11:05 AM
The right full legal owner of the controller is the owner of the building, they the ones who have paid for the controller and installation, yet they have not been given a copy of the software, does that not appear a little odd.

Although he is the legal owner of the controller and has rightly paid for the installation, I would doubt that he is the legal owner of the software. What you normally pay for is a Licence to use the software, as you do with Windows XP.

The Licence would normally state the limits of that use, and in this case, that may not be access to alter parameters such as the timeclock.

Maybe the store owner should ask the installer just what access he has under the contract he entered into when he ordered the work.