PDA

View Full Version : VRF or Multisplit?

daddymac
05-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Guys! Happy New year to all!
Regarding an A/C system with a single outdoor unit and 2-3 indoor units? What are the differences between a MultiSplit system and a VRF system?
I know that Multi splits have a liquid and suction line for each internal unit, and that VRF's use branch pipework. What else is there to consider?
Like everybody else, I'm looking for somthing cheap and reasonable? Any thoughts on brands? There was some talk in and around this forum that "Shining" airconditioners were reasonable... but how do I go about buying one in this country?
As you may guess, this is for my own place, Ideally, I'd like 3 internal hi-walls and one inverter condensing unit. The Boss/better half doesn't want the garden filling with condensing units!:D
Thank you in anticipation!!

Renato RR
05-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Multi is cheaper and easy to instal but can operate on 50m distance from outdor unit.VRF 130m but nonresonable to buy that machine for 3-4 indor units.
Also VRF neds adresing and in case of switching unit from power (48 h or more )you will need to adress units from begining.
Big multi Fujitsu AO 72 or AO 54.

Renato

frank
05-01-2006, 07:23 PM
WOW - even I can't afford a VRV for the house :D

Hi Daddymac

The basic 2 pipe VRV/VRF cooling only machine is very similar to a cooling only multisplit in the way they operate, as is the 2 pipe heat pump version. The real big difference is in the 3 pipe VRV which is designed to heat and cool simultaneously.

The multi split used to have a single speed compressor but nowadays they all appear to be inverter driven (watch someone tell me otherwise :) ). The Daikin can have a maximum total length of 75m of pipework on the 8kw unit. So you could have one indoor unit with 40m pipework, one indoor with 20m and one indoor with 15m making a total of 75m, or other combinations totaling 75m or less.

The compressor will speed up/down to match the indoor load on the inverter type and use a series of bypass valves/liquid injectors to try and match the indoor load on the single speed compressor type.

The heat pump version will do exactly the same in reverse. You cannot have one room heating and one room cooling on a multi or 2 pipe system.

If it's for your "Domestic Dwelling" then the way to go would be Multisplit as I fear you would need a second mortgage for the VRV :D

rbartlett
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
3 x -say- 3.5kw wall mounts is multisplit terrority. however I still prefer 3x splits as it gives you full control of each as regards heat or cool.

however I guess it's mainly cooling you want it for so a Daikin multi inverter is just the J.O.B

If further proof is needed ask Marc what we have in our offices;-)

cheers

richard

Lazarus
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Daikin, Panasonic, Miitsubishi and Panasonic all do very good multisplit inverters.... Not many of the big manufacturers do multisplits greater than 2 into 1 in constant speed units anymore. Though Hokkaido do a good 3 into 1 constant.
Shining do 2 into 1 constant but in inverters only single splits.... according to the catologue i have that is... no doubt i stand to be corrected!!

Peter_1
06-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Proof of what Richard and do I have to interprete this then as THE standard? :p

Multisplit: if it's working on partload (1 of the 3 working), then it's consuming ways too much if not inverter controlled.
If the outdoor unit fails for some reason, all the indoors don't work anymore.
Multisplist costs more then 3 separate units.

So, for me, besides the advantage of less space taken outside, there is no other advantage.

As Richard said, install 3 separate units and say to the other part of your bed that she can spend the saved money on some new clothes.

www.klimaconnect.com = Shining
2.3 kW 300 €
2.6 kW 330 €
3.4 kW 370 €
All heatpump

Lazarus
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Agree completely.... if individual control and the fact of having one going down not affecting all your units then definately 3 individual split pareds...
Also price wise again yup its cheaper....
At the end of the day its all down to what the customer wants as long as there given all the alternatives so that they can make an informed decision.

daddymac
09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks to all fo your input, think it will be 3 sep units and I'll let her indoors spend (half) the money!!:D

iainlawrie
15-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Under no circumstances touch Shining. This company have gone through some major changes in their senior management and they have lost all their quality control people. Their reliability is very poor now.

iainlawrie
15-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Maybe look at MFCC by Mapo in Shanghai. This is a new system developed by them and supplies DHW as well as heating and cooling.

We know Shining very well as we dealt with them for some time