PDA

View Full Version : What's brown and sticky? My fridge...

rickyslatter88
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi, I am inept when it comes to fridges and am in need of some (what I'm sure is) basic advice to do with my Zanussi Electrolux.

There is a slight puncture in the metal coiling (?) of part of my freezer shelf - it is at the very front. It is has been leaking since earlier today, a brown liquid - I was alerted to this after the fridge had been making a loud rumble for some time. On further inspection I noticed that it was leaking a small amount of gas. I switched the fridge off and waited 2 hours and switched it back on, it made no noise for about 25 minutes and then started making a loud rumble, it has since gone quiet again, occasionally making a rumble then falling silent again. Is this fridge finished? Will soldering the puncture fix the problem etc?

Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated by this humble novice.

With thanks,

Ricky

SeanB
07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
If you leave it yes, but probably repairable, though often cheaper to buy a new one, especially in the UK with high labour costs.

Rob White
07-10-2012, 08:50 PM

If the refrigerant has leaked out (the brown stuff is oil)
then you have few options really. Unless it was very expensive,
is built into the house or has real sentimental value, you would
be better off replacing it with a new one.

Did you or somebody try to defrost the freezer with a knife?

If the refrigerant has leaked out then air and moisture has now
contaminated the system and moisture in a freezer is fatal.

To repair it the leak will need repairing, the dryer will need replacing
the refrigerant will need to be added. If the repair worked you would
be looking at a bill well in excess of £100........... How much is a brand
new one with a full guarantee?

Regards

Rob

monkey spanners
07-10-2012, 09:00 PM
A Stick....

frank
08-10-2012, 09:21 PM
And...you can't repair the leak by soldering..unless it is silver solder

install monkey
08-10-2012, 10:36 PM
blu tac!- 50/50 chance of repair and it working afterwards- if its aluminum tube then ali rods , or that epoxy mix, suppose it all boils down to does ur misses want new shoes and a repaired fridge - or hair roots showing whilst she saves up for a new beer cooler/freezer- good luck