PDA

View Full Version : 3 phase compressor contactor failures

marc5180
05-10-2012, 07:33 AM
What causes compressor contractor failure more than once.

We've inherited a few old Daikin units ERC5EB and when we arrived on site we found the 3 phase compressors down to earth on both units and the compressor contactors on both units only letting through 2 of the 3 phases which has most probably caused the compressor failure.

However the contactors have been in 2 weeks and they have failed again causing only 2 phases to be supplied to the compressors rater than the 3.

The guy on site thinks these contactors have been changed several times in the past but what can be causing them to fail so often.

I've checked all the obvious things electrically;

The supply voltage and neutral has been checked (by our electrician) and proved to be ok.*
The contactors are fitted with overloads.
The contactors are the correct ones and the coil is the correct voltage.
All terminals are tight.
The compressors are brand new and so are not at fault (acid test was carried out on old ones)
The compressors both pull around 9amps per phase with the overload set at 15amps.

This ones a head scratcher for sure.

monkey spanners
05-10-2012, 08:17 AM
A chattering pressure switch or similar in the feed to the coil will cause the contractor to pull In and drop out rapidly resulting in burnt contacts, if this is the case a time delay in the feed my help though it won't fix the original problem.

im sure others will know of a more daikin specific problem that could be the cause also.

marc5180
05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi Monkey,
I originally thought this may be the cause but whenever I'm on site and with the units in question the feeds to the coils are constant and never drop or lose the signal.
The refrigeration side is okay as well as both pressure switches.

It may well be worthwhile to fit a start limit timer for say no more than 12 start per hour.

frank
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Marc

What is protecting the mains supply to the unit. Is it fuses or MCB? I would suspect it's fuses, as a large imbalance like 2 phasing should take out an MCB.

I've only got details for the old ERC5 C series which shows the compressor contactor circuit fed from the indoor unit on wire terminal 5 which goes through the overload (95 - 96) and a delay on timer K2T (3 minutes)

Is the current draw equal on all 3 phases?

chemi-cool
05-10-2012, 12:13 PM
When you say "contactor failed", do you mean main contacts burnt? coil burnt?
What is the amp peak start?
What is the run amp draw?
What is the contactor amp rating?
What is the contactor make?

Grizzly
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
A remote location can cause issues, as due to the distance from the grid, which we get a lot down here in the s.west.
Can play havoc with the incoming voltages. Which in turn will cause all sorts problem. If this is related to just one set of kit then I think the others have it sussed.
Grizzly

install monkey
05-10-2012, 06:29 PM
stick a 3 phase controller on it which detects 3 ph and will open circuit ur comms to the contactor- at least this will react quicker than the overload and prevent 2 phasing

monkey spanners
05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
If its got a seperate delay timer (as opposed to built into circuit board) then i'd change it, have had these go bad and case contactor chattering.

glenn1340
06-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Install monkey`s got the right idea a phase failure relay drop the compressor out before any damage occurs. Also try a low voltage trip relay, if it trips on that you know you`ve got voltage supply problems.

monkey spanners
06-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Overloads should trip if it loses a phase if they are set correctly, check they are not set to auto reset.

As said above though a phase failure doodad would be extra insurance.

install monkey
07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
overloads would trip, but not instantly- thus by fitting the moniter

http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/catimages/M0529-01.gif (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/web/c/?searchTerm=Broyce+Control&searchType=Brand)
3 wire 3phase under voltage relay,500Vac

http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/images/R342944-09.jpg

Enlarge (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)
Image representative of range only

Technical Reference

UL/CUL E111187
M3PR Phase Sequence / Failure & Under Voltage Relay
Statement of conformity
http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/uk/img/site/default/printableNavRSLogo.gif RS Components

Statement of conformity

RS Stock No.

342-944

Description

3 wire 3phase under voltage relay,500Vac

Manufacturer/Brand:

Broyce Control

Mfr Part No.

M3PR 300-500VAC

Contact Configuration

NO/NC

Electrical Phase

Three

Height

89mm

Length

59mm

Monitoring Application

Phase, Voltage

Phase Sensitivity

Phase Loss, Phase Sequence

Supply Voltage

300 → 500 V ac

Time Delay

1 s

Voltage Sensing Range

300 → 500 V ac

Voltage Sensitivity

Undervoltage

Width

35mm

http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/catimages/R184583-01.jpg

http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/catimages/R629386-01.jpg

Three-Phase Sequence/Failure & Under Voltage Relay

Detects under-voltage condition
Detects phase loss (and neutral loss on 4-wire)
Detects incorrect phase sequence
Adjustable trip level
Monitors own supply
DIN rail or surface mount

Phase Sequence/Failure Relays

Monitoring of 3 phase supplies

Overloads should trip if it loses a phase if they are set correctly, check they are not set to auto reset.

As said above though a phase failure doodad would be extra insurance.

marc5180
07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Guys I'm away from home and I'm having issues replying to this thread and have been having since Friday. The site lets me log in but won't let me reply, it just times out.
I'm back home tomorrow and so will reply to all the comments made, thanks for all the replies.

Magoo
08-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Had similar problem with failing contactors, ended up being induced voltages screwing up contactor coils releasing quickly, fitted snubber resistors across contactor coil terminals, no further problems.

mikeref
08-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Contactor leg open circuits. Same phase as last time?
If so, see if your control circuit is fed off that phase.
Measure your full load amps and corresponding supply voltage. Your overload should have tripped before the burn-out happened.
If the contactor is too closely rated to the running amps of the compressor, any leg is likely to burn first.

BTW, Magoo. should your comment read " contactor coil not ​releasing quickly?

marc5180
08-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Hi Marc

What is protecting the mains supply to the unit. Is it fuses or MCB? I would suspect it's fuses, as a large imbalance like 2 phasing should take out an MCB.

I've only got details for the old ERC5 C series which shows the compressor contactor circuit fed from the indoor unit on wire terminal 5 which goes through the overload (95 - 96) and a delay on timer K2T (3 minutes)

Is the current draw equal on all 3 phases?

Hi Frank, the unit in question is an ERC8 C not an ERC5...sorry, meaning there is no delay on timer.
It has MCBs protecting the mains supply rather than fuses and the current draw is equal on all phases.

When you say "contactor failed", do you mean main contacts burnt? coil burnt?
What is the amp peak start?
What is the run amp draw?
What is the contactor amp rating?
What is the contactor make?

Hi Chemi, when I say contactors failed I meant 1 of the main contacts were burnt out of the 3.
The overload is set to 15a and the run amp is around 9amps and balanced.

The contactors is a Siemens type although I don't have the model at the min.

marc5180
08-10-2012, 09:31 PM
stick a 3 phase controller on it which detects 3 ph and will open circuit ur comms to the contactor- at least this will react quicker than the overload and prevent 2 phasing

Yeah that's another idea install, good suggestion, I'll look into this.

marc5180
08-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Had similar problem with failing contactors, ended up being induced voltages screwing up contactor coils releasing quickly, fitted snubber resistors across contactor coil terminals, no further problems.

How did you figure out that it was induced voltage that was causing the issue Magoo?

marc5180
08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Contactor leg open circuits. Same phase as last time?
If so, see if your control circuit is fed off that phase.
Measure your full load amps and corresponding supply voltage. Your overload should have tripped before the burn-out happened.
If the contactor is too closely rated to the running amps of the compressor, any leg is likely to burn first.

BTW, Magoo. should your comment read " contactor coil not ​releasing quickly?

Hi Mike,
I think it may be the same phase as last time although I can't be certain.
The control circuit doesn't come from a live in the condensing unit but a switched live from the time clock in the HVAC panel.
Full load amps were 9.5a and supply voltage 235.

The overload never trips but instead the main MCB in the fuse board trips.

chillerman2006
08-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi Marc

just a thought, what else is drawing power off that same phase

looked at a condensing unit the other day, that had a new contactor fitted recently and went down again

was at a petrol filling station and there was a fault with the single phase petrol price sign

that was some how fed from the same L1 as the condensing unit

R's chillerman

install monkey
08-10-2012, 10:23 PM
try higher rated contactors- inertia on start up could be causing contacts to wear- were the previous contactors the correct rating?
used to go to 3 ph fujitsus aoy36's where muppets had fitted danfoss cI9 contactors- used to last about 6 months until starting current used to weld the contacts or frazzle em

Magoo
09-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Basically sat there and watch system stop, the contactor spluttered. So when stopped checked contactor coil terminals with an electronic multimeter, read 80 odd volts, no potential with a dusspol check. Fitted bleed resistors to drain induced voltage. Came across the problem decades ago with early genertion Allen Bradley PLCs, all outputs to contactors etc., had to have bleed resistors at contactors.

chemi-cool
09-10-2012, 05:34 PM
One more thing that comes to my mind after replacing compressor overload relay today.
make sure that the screws which hold the wires, will be tight, very tight, as tight as you can.

Copper wires behave like water pipes, when the amps are high, you can see them move and try to be straight, the same with high pressure in water pipes.