PDA

View Full Version : Are working conditions pretty much this awful across the whole industry

Destiny22
01-10-2012, 10:52 PM
So far this month I have had to work on electrics in the pouring rain , work next to a broken sewer , worked next to a roof with the slates falling off and had get a six year old condenser on to a roof using a rope as no lifting equipment was provided I have been in this industry for three years and so far it's been pretty horrific and the pay is pretty terrible , is this indicative of the industry as a whole as I am pretty sick of the whole thing. I get no overtime rate and have no set hours at all and more often than not work a 12 hour day minimum .

Tesla
01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi Destiny22
You urgently need to report the company you work for to the authorities. Someone will get killed working for that company. Plus your boss is I cant use strong enough words on this forum. Seek compensation.

glenn1340
01-10-2012, 11:21 PM
That`s pretty much the same for any service engineer`s job. I Was in the compressed air industry for over twenty years and although the pay was ok, health and safety were non existent. The other year we were taking down some cassettes from a redundant office block; the ceiling tiles which we had to hammer out, I later found out were asbestos. I told my boss and he` didn`t give a sh*t all he was interested in was getting the job done. The list of stunts I had to pull to keep that miserable git happy would be endless.

I enventually saw the light and am now in FM in a large chemical factory. Good pay, private health care, lots of training and H&S so tight you cant` fart without the right PPE.

A word of advice to any youngster starting out DON`T work for a small family owned business, you`ll never get on as there`ll be a familly member waiting in the wings to be parachuted into that managers, sales or whatever position you`ve been hoping for

Oh by the way I`m not at all bitter or twisted, well not much.

Glenn
`

THE DUDE
01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
No Overtime!!!!! Run...Run fast from that Company!

andy32
02-10-2012, 12:00 AM
It's generally a horrible dirty dangerous job , one where your health is going to suffer and no one gives a stuff as long as those call outs get done

FreezerGeezer
02-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Try to get into a multinational or at least a large national co. Working conditions should be better, but as the others have said, it's not a great trade for H&S. At least you haven't had to work on a roof in snow, apparently!

Moneyhell
02-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I have worked for companies with much higher standards than that in the UK. There may be other companies like the one you have explained but there are enough professional companies as well.

If you move companies, remember that interviews are two way. Ask questions to determine if it is a place you want to work and least you will have half a chance before you start (the other half being the ones who lie to get you in) :p

Magoo
03-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Destiny,
you are your own worst enermy for not insisting on a safe work enviroment. Start reading the riot act to your employer.

leegally1983
05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
i have been in the industry 9 yrs and worked for three companies one large company the other two smaller, and i have never had to work in that bad conditions we all do unsafe things at times but shouldnt be subject to it often.
My suggestion is speak up about it and ask for a risk assessment and method statement to be done if you believe it is unsafe.
No company in the world can sack someone or disapline them for looking after their or other peoples safety.
I love this industry theres something new every day, plenty of money to be earned and the people in the industry are generally sound people