PDA

View Full Version : Old Bulldogs

subzero*psia
10-02-2001, 04:09 PM
Anybody out there raise or know any history on bulldogs? There must be some of you folks out there from the UK that might be able to help me out alittle with this?

I am looking for any old articles, books, pictures, notes, what have you, on the original British Bulldog (extinct). Not the English that we all know today.

I raise American Bulldogs, no, not the American Pitbull Terrier. Although both of them get bad press which is due to dog owners that are unqualified to own an animal in the first place. I consider the American Bulldog to be the closest living breed of dog that could be compared to the extinct British Bulldog. The early colonists brought these dogs over to work their farms and protect family and livestock from wild animals and Indians, the American Bulldog we know today may actually be the British Bulldog of yesterday.

I would be willing to pay for the items I mentioned if you have any I would be interested in.

Email me at dadeacey@woh.rr.com

Also check our website out... its nothing fancy just our dogs. You may have to copy and paste the link in your browser.

http://www.geocities.com/mjdeacey/powertrainkennels.html

WebRam
10-02-2001, 08:34 PM
Sub, have you tried a good search engine like "copernic" to search out clubs?

subzero*psia
10-02-2001, 11:29 PM
Yes, I have seen so many American Bulldog websites my head spins. I am looking more for old world history etc.

Every bulldogger in the world seems to have "their interpretation" of how the American Bulldog came to be. All seem to follow a general line, but some do differ regarding which dogs actually comprise this wonderful breed of dog.

One site I really like is by Dr. Carl Semencic: http://www.li.net/~semencic/dogpage.htm . He has some photo's of what is believed to possibly be the last of the original Spanish Alano. The Alaunt or Alaunte, is supposed to be the predecessor to the bulldog breeds as well as the a few other breeds such as the Alano, Mastiff's, Great Danes etc.

As for the search engine you mentioned, I haven't tried that one period. I have been using google.com lately and it finds more than most. I will give the engine you suggested a try.

I am really looking for old bulldog items, and history though. I hope someone has something they may want to part with. I understand some of you are restricted from owning real bulldogs in your countries... such a shame, the dogs aren't bad... it is the irresponsible owner that is bad.

WebRam
21-02-2001, 12:20 AM
Hi Dean,

I agree with your comment about owners.

I find must have no idea why they got a dog in the first place. You see them out walking them and you know they canny be bothered.

A dog is a very big commitment in someones life.

Its a shame more people don not realise that

wellcold
14-12-2001, 12:30 AM
i agree