PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding oils and gauges

hawkeye
18-09-2012, 11:39 AM
I am looking for some advice here. I came off the road when the new breed of gasses came out; I have mainly worked on R22 systems.
I remember back in those days they said you needed a different set of gauges for each of the systems, mineral and synthetic.
I am now a static engineer with 11 months to go to retirement so all my training has lapsed.
What I want to know is can you use the same set of gauges on R22, 407C & 410. I am thinking of cross contamination of oils here.

Our AC contractor only uses one set of gauges full stop, no matter what the system is. They tell me this acceptable now, is this so

r.bartlett
18-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I carry two sets but use both for both...

stufus
18-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm like RB have a couple of sets but chop and change.
Not an issue unless working on very small systems where the amount of oil in a line could potentiall cross the much fabled 5& line.
Manufacturers of digital gauges dont seem fussed as all the gasses are preloaded int the software.
If its good enough for them that will do me.
Cheers
Stu

Rob White
18-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I am looking for some advice here. I came off the road when the new breed of gasses came out; I have mainly worked on R22 systems.
I remember back in those days they said you needed a different set of gauges for each of the systems, mineral and synthetic.
I am now a static engineer with 11 months to go to retirement so all my training has lapsed.
What I want to know is can you use the same set of gauges on R22, 407C & 410. I am thinking of cross contamination of oils here.

Our AC contractor only uses one set of gauges full stop, no matter what the system is. They tell me this acceptable now, is this so

Use the same gauges if you want but just
be aware that R410 do use different gauges
rated at the slightly higher pressures.

So use one set of gauges for 410 and one set
for all other refrigerants or you could just use
a set of 410 gauges with differant hose connections
for the other refrigerants.

Just don't use the low pressure gauges for 410..

As for the oil unless you are actually using the gauges for
adding and removing oil then don't worry too much about it.

Regards

Rob

monkey spanners
18-09-2012, 09:24 PM
One set for R410A, one for everything else.

install monkey
18-09-2012, 09:34 PM
dave hart does more 410a kit than you john- maybe he should have them shiny 550's, as all you work on john is rusty, sh**ty and normally on r12!:p

One set for R410A, one for everything else.

monkey spanners
18-09-2012, 10:32 PM
He's got testos! broke the hook of em and they are covered in leak dye from doing cars...

Only 410a stuff i do is comp changes on samsungs!

hawkeye
20-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the replys, you have put my mind at rest.
Rob, yes i was aware of the pressure difference of R410 and the other gasses.
Guess i have been away from the sharp end longer that i thought.
My days of compressor humping are over lol.