PDA

View Full Version : solder fell into torch tip

star882
30-12-2005, 05:32 PM
I was about to install plumbing for an icemaker when I noticed that some solder fell into the torch tip from a previous use. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What's the solution?

Brian_UK
30-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Do you have another source of heat? If yes then hold blocked tip with open end down and apply heat to soften solder.

Second option, get a drill bit to match the size of the torch opening and drill out the solder.

star882
01-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks. I just bought another torch, melted the solder out, and got the install done.
BTW, compression fittings are no good. I had one connection leak twice, and the two I currently have installed are leaking very slowly. What's the solution?

Brian_UK
01-01-2006, 10:47 PM
BTW, compression fittings are no good. I had one connection leak twice, and the two I currently have installed are leaking very slowly. What's the solution?What's inside the pipes ??

If it's refrigerant then you shouldn't be using compression fittings.

One problem with compression fittings is that people tend to overtighten them which damages the olives and seats.

US Iceman
01-01-2006, 11:07 PM
The only two types of compression fittings I am aware of are; those for water which should should not be used, or those for hydraulic tubing. The hydraulic fittings work OK so long as you use the correct ferrules for the tubing.

star882
01-01-2006, 11:53 PM
What's inside the pipes ??

If it's refrigerant then you shouldn't be using compression fittings.

One problem with compression fittings is that people tend to overtighten them which damages the olives and seats. It's water at line pressure.
Oh, are flare fittings any better at sealing the connection?