PDA

View Full Version : starting up in business

stevemartial
30-12-2005, 08:39 AM
hi guys,i'm trying to start my own business instead of working for a company.i'm a transport refrigeration engineer working in the 'field'.any tips on how to attract clients? most clients seem to be tied into contracts,word of mouth will take a long time to generate enough work, advertise on yell.com maybe? any advice appreciated, thanks steve.

Abe
30-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Steve

If you search threads under the Business section , we have covered this subject to death in the past

See how you get on

Good Luck

Renato RR
30-12-2005, 12:12 PM
On my opinion you need to get some big jobs and if you work under the lovest posible price for start just to get a good name and reputation it may be a good move.

Best regards,
Renato

B.B.
30-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi Steve,
I assume you are on your own on your new business venture? If so, and in particular within this service industry, service support is of huge priority to your potential clients. Nevertheless you have to start somewhere. As your are a small business i would target small businesses within a realistic geographical radius of your base. Maintain reasonable margins and don't sell yourself short. Create a glossy profile of what you your business has to offer and ensure that you have a contact name. This way the info your are posting will go direct to the person who will hold the responsibility. Follow this up with a phone call. If you secure a meeting, be prepared and confident enough to anwser any questions which may arise, this is your chance to pitch your business. Attempt to gather information regarding their current service situation, which contractor do they currently use, type of maintenance, what are they getting for their money. Look at ways you can possibly extend on this and offer something that may be currently overlooked. Forget about the large jobs for now, the risk may be to great, you may come down with a bang before you get off the ground.
Finally, invoice jobs asap and get that money in.
Best wishes in your venture.:)

Cofreth
30-12-2005, 02:40 PM
I think who you know is more important than what you know now...:D :D :D

stevemartial
30-12-2005, 04:38 PM
thanks guys