PDA

View Full Version : Oil charging

Johnny Walker
10-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi All,

I just came across with a semi hermetic compressor today (first time) and there was a leakage on the oil separator which caused the refrigerant and most of the oil to escape. Through the oil sightglass I can still see some oil but its far below the minimum line.
I have compressor oil but have no idea how to put it inside. There is access to both high and low side and the oil separator as well. I was trying to locate some special valve for oil injection but couldn't find anything. Any advice please. I have injector tools.

Thanks

install monkey
10-09-2012, 08:49 PM
ideally near the sight glass or by the sump there should be a 1/4/3/8 threaded port to all for sticking a 1/4 gauge connection- hook ur gauges up to the system and pull a vac on the system after the repair/drier change and pressure test- connect gauge line to ur crankcase and stick the other end into the can of oil, the vac on the crankcase will suck the oil into the compressor- keep an eye on the oil level and then cap the gauge port and let the oily gauge line drip back into the can of oil- if you connected ur line to the comp sump then by now you will be covered in oil and cursing me! haha- then continue vaccing system and recharge- moniter the oil level whilst running as it may drop or increase.
good luck

Johnny Walker
11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks. Couldn't find the port for it, so I just disconnected the flexible oil return hose from the separator and filled through that with vacuum.
Thanks for help

SeanB
23-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Next time take a short length of 1/4 copper and flare it, then use an elbow to connect to the hose. That way the hose outside stays oil free, and you can wipe down the copper easily afterwards, and use it on the next job.