PDA

View Full Version : Fridge does not work after year-long hibernation

scott44
30-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

I have a small beverage fridge that appears to be "Habco" brand. The fridge was plugged in and running, but unused, for a number of years. Last September, I moved the fridge to a new location, and plugged it in, where it worked fine.

It was then left unplugged until yesterday (almost a year), and it does not seem to be working. When it is plugged in, something clearly begins to run, but the inside of the fridge almost seems to be warmer than the outside temperature. I have fiddled with the tempature gauge (and left it for a number of hours) to see if I had it set on zero.

Is there anything else I should try, or something I should know about leaving a fridge unplugged for a year??

Please respond as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Scott

Tesla
31-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Hi scott44
One of two things has happened - more likely a gas leak has happened during moving, or it has seized the compressor. If it is old it may be worth considering a new one. Can you hear the compressor running when you turn it on?

monkey spanners
31-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Check the condenser fan motor is not seized. If it is it can end up getting warmer inside the fridge.

Tesla
31-08-2012, 12:24 PM
If the compressor is seized you could try to give it a big kick when trying to start it - it may go or it may blow. But maybe you could contact your local fridgy.