PDA

View Full Version : Chilled water problem

Bashir01219
30-08-2012, 11:16 AM
We use soft water (Hardness < 5 ppm) for our closed loop chilled water system with soft water make-up facility and Chemical Nalco R-39 M. We just change the water 45 days ago but suddenly today we find TDS: 450 PPM, pH: 8.81 & Hardness: 17 PPM. Is it good enough or we need to take any precaution? I try in the Google for any reference for closed loop chilled water system but did not get any authentic papers! So, if any body help me to find any reference.

sterl
30-08-2012, 10:07 PM
http://www.infrastructure.alberta.ca/Content/docType306/Production/WTComplete.pdf

This not heavily technical but also is not commercial....The PH is OK and the TDS is not much higher than one would expect. Was the system flushed before recharging or just locally drained?

Magoo
31-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi Bashir
After a complete drain and refill of water system you can expect some inregularities in TDS as you have introduced oxygen to system and probably still air pockets trapped or floating around. Shock dosing can be an option, but monitoring and testing should be daily. You say water supply is softened, but unless you have your own water softener there is no gaurentee local supply is always softened.
Get chemical suppliers to analyse and recommend action to be taken.

Bashir01219
31-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Thanks.
We have our own water softening plant and hardness of water hardly exit 1 or 2 ppm. We change the water as per schedule or by checking water quality, but my concern is what are the standard (range of quality parameters) for closed loop child water line?
Not clear about shock dosing, is it for continuous dosing?

Bashir01219
31-08-2012, 03:52 AM
Attached file is excellent usable for me.

Thanks.