PDA

View Full Version : Alerton DDC controls

michaele
29-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Alerton building controls? What are its' drawbacks? We are considering installing this system for control of several buildings that will be networked.

Tesla
29-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Hi michaele
In Ausie they are a budget BMS. But any system is good it depends on the design specs like functional description, open protocol and some self diagnostics to save on the monthly maintenance visits. So more important is the planning stages ususlly from the consultant before the BMS is installed and last but not least is commissioning which should include retuning of the building after a year of operation when the tenancies have filled. Try to look at the life cycle costs over 15 to 20 years.
Open protocol means you will not be locked into the OEM who could charge a premium where an independent BMS contractor could maintain modify or repair the BMS. This makes it easier to change controllers and devices to another brand of required.
Energy management is also important - could easily save more than 50% of total power consumption over the life of the BMS.
Commissioning should be checked by an independent consultant who is not involved with the install.
Self diagnostics can save huge amonunt$ on maintenance. Where the individual components can be tested on a monthly basis automatically with a little extra programming graphs of performance responses are recorded once the building is commissioned and tuned with normal loads. With these recorded response times the BMS can predict the load in advance by upto 4 hours preventing over heating or over cooling. Incorporating local weather conditions from the weather authority will also save running costs.
With all the savings in running means the mechanical plant will last much longer as it is used for less hours.

cool_tech
30-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Hello
Tesla is on the money with the open protocol. To give you an example we have auto logic installed. in that meeting room there is a I pad to control it , They try to lock you in with their licensed product. tridium is another product as well. A lot head aches and extra costs can be avoided if bms system is designed properly and commissioned properly. have not seen alerton in too many buildings. people always complaining about costs of maintenance of system.

rsoady
30-08-2012, 01:49 PM
used Allerton controls in the past, they are reliable, but very complex to use in my opinion, I'd look at Emerson CPC controls or Danfoss, both are excellent products and are alot more user friendly.

michaele
05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Thank you for the input. It is a tough decision to make when there is so much money and operational considerations at stake.

WeNeedUnions
24-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Alerton...Cheap and nasty same as shneider just look at the wire terminations and plug in ports it says it all and not user friendly the back end of them i mean.

Use trend contol systems they are and it is the bees knees.