PDA

View Full Version : Would you have done it?

Temprite
26-12-2005, 12:41 PM
G'day all.

I recently quoted to install some refrigerated cabinets(about 9) and a freezer room and walk in cool room.

Having not heard anything more I assumed that we had not got the job.

That was until two days before christmas, when I got a phone call from the installing engineer desperate for help as the job had to be running by the day after christmas.

Being a nice person I organised my self and a third year apprentice to help on a charge out rate and worked late in the evening (after I had completed my own work).Needless to say the job was completed.

My question to members is this
Would you have let them suffer or did I do the right thing helping out?

Regards:)

Abe
26-12-2005, 02:58 PM
I think a bit differently, I prefer to pace myself and work to a planned schedule.

I find working overtime, burning midnight oil leads to errors.

But . some people can thrive on pressure, so Im not saying youre wrong.

And , you will have made more money this way!!

Lazarus
26-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Definately the right thing..... sort of gives you a good feeling inside when you are able to help someone out, regardless of the fact that the situation is of there own making......

Abe
26-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Definately the right thing..... sort of gives you a good feeling inside when you are able to help someone out, regardless of the fact that the situation is of there own making......

Are you "helping" or compensating someone for their poor project management?

It says a lot about the specifier when he has the gall to call out someone two days before a major holiday

What were they thinking?

In my book it was not a plea for help at all. It was sheer ineptitude

Lazarus
26-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Very True..... Have you ever made a mistake and did someone help you out of it!!
The chances are that, that contractor will call him for the next project and maybe, just maybe he will listen and plan.

Abe
26-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Very True..... Have you ever made a mistake and did someone help you out of it!!
The chances are that, that contractor will call him for the next project and maybe, just maybe he will listen and plan.

Lazarus

We are human, and to err is human. Yes, we cannot be perfect.

There have been times when I have been in the crap and Ive sent out an SOS

I cant figure out how Temprite did so much work in 2 days!! You deserve a medal Temp!! ;)

I might be wrong, maybe I misread..........this wasnt a breakdown I am assuming.........it was a new install , yes??

Temprite
26-12-2005, 08:53 PM
G'day Aiyub.

Would be good if I could get that much work done in 2 days.

But the installing engineer had completed a good portion of it already they were going to miss the deadline if we didn't help.

In our area a good amount of profit for the shop owners is made over the christmas season hence the urgency to open.

It was difficult for me to shuffle our jobs around to free up two of us in the afternoon but I managed to.

Word of mouth is a good or bad thing and I think only positive can come from this.

Thanks for the comments everyone, it's good to see peoples opinions.

Regards

Abe
26-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Temp

I goofed, apologies

You helped out the installation engineer........Now thats different altogether.

In this respect you did good and yes, in that circumstance I too would have helped out.

I really must read the post more carefully in the future

Temprite
28-12-2005, 11:38 AM
G'day all

Recieved call 2 days after christmas, hot day 36 degrees c none of the equipment working

Installation engineer had left all pressure controls at factory set, units failing on HP everywhere.Shop full of tourists..........

Set all controls now ok.

I guess that what happens when you leave everything to the eleventh hour.:)

eve walt
28-12-2005, 01:58 PM
if they accepted your quote you should have told them that all engineers had broke up for Christmas but if they were prepared to pay double time you could get the job done or wait till new year

Cofreth
29-12-2005, 11:20 AM
G'day all

Recieved call 2 days after christmas, hot day 36 degrees c none of the equipment working

Installation engineer had left all pressure controls at factory set, units failing on HP everywhere.Shop full of tourists..........

Set all controls now ok.

I guess that what happens when you leave everything to the eleventh hour.:)

If you are having 36 degree C ambient temperature, what is be the high pressure and what refrigerant are you using?

Temprite
29-12-2005, 11:47 AM
If you are having 36 degree C ambient temperature, what is be the high pressure and what refrigerant are you using?

Refrigerant is 404A

High pressure control was set about 200 psi

I normally set High pressure cutout at about 60 degrees SCT (407 psi)

Hermitique specifies 457psi on their units running on 404A

Regards.

Cofreth
29-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Refrigerant is 404A

High pressure control was set about 200 psi

I normally set High pressure cutout at about 60 degrees SCT (407 psi)

Hermitique specifies 457psi on their units running on 404A

Regards.

Sorry..I mean what operating high pressure you will achieve at 36 degree C ambient temperature.

Thanks
Steven