PDA

View Full Version : compressor burn out

Dunno_Daikin
22-08-2012, 04:28 AM
What causes compressor burn out?
Is it just moisture/acid? Does a burn out cause acid to be left behind?

Got a package a/c that's 10 years old with the compressor shorted to earth.
I can't see moisture acid causing the burn out since it's a package a/c so factory piping and charging, so no field piping/evac or refrigerant charging done. Plus also it's age, I can't see it lasting so long with moisture/acid in the system.

I want to know what could be the cause so there's no problem with the replacement compressor as it's a $3k compressor.

mikeref
22-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Many causes out there for compressors to burn out. Power supply problems like a surge or brown-outs, contactor failure, compressor overheating from clogged condenser, refrigerant breakdown or just wear and tear.
Have to flush system before installing new compressor and weld in a suction line drier for added protection.

Tesla
22-08-2012, 06:11 AM
The fact it ran for ten years indicates the design appears OK. The important thing for the new $3K compressor is that the system is cleaned to acceptable standards & as Mike said -drier, filter + new start gear. Just again the system must be proved to be clean, use an acid test kit & search forum for procedure if necessary.

Dunno_Daikin
22-08-2012, 06:33 AM
I used an emerson acid test kit on the current compressor oil and it tests OK?

Yuri B.
22-08-2012, 06:45 PM
The phrase "burned compressor" boils down to failed windings insulation.
Windings insulation failure is caused by high temperature/acidity,etc.
Acidity already having been discussed, high temperature is caused by high current /high pressure, etc, .

Brian_UK
22-08-2012, 11:07 PM
SOme reasons here....
http://www.e-refrigeration.com/learn-refrigeration/refrigeration-repairs/compressor-failure-reasons

stufus
25-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Not much use in Australia , considering you are in Seattle WA.....
Now we have cleared that up , Stop advertising!!!!!!
Cheers
Stu

I strongly recommend securecomfort. As they provide the best service for your air conditioning system and ensure a permant fix to the problem.