View Full Version : Do you know what it is yet.

20-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I have been asked what happened to the little quiz of mine regarding the origin and use of the equipment shown in the attached Photo.

We got close yesterday before the shutdown. Sadly I missed the conclusion if there was one?
Due to the shutdown.
Anyway here it is again, and if no-one guesses, later I will explain.


install monkey
20-08-2012, 08:55 PM
im asking a freind!! seeing as i cant take 50/50!!!! haha

20-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Looks like a cold well moisture trap fitted before a vacuum pump

20-08-2012, 09:08 PM
OK Guys.

Our Marine department have used this on many occasions.
Basically its called a Cold Pot!
It is used when a system has been saturated with moisture, which on marine systems can be quite often.
As they tend to use that cheap cooling medium freely available called the sea!
IE Sea water cooled condensers.

Anyway the cold pot enables the use of a vacuum pump for long periods. without having to change the oil in the vacuum pump. Due to its oil being emulsified.

The connections on the outside are connected directly in-line with the system and vacuum pump.
The centre which is actually a blanked off length of Steel pipe and the tubular copper (evaporator- heat exchanger) is lowered into place, within the tube this is then filled with glycol/ water.
When the unit is running the glycol temp is lowered to below the freezing point of water.

Therefore as the saturated vapour from the sodden system passes over the very cold external surface of the pipe. Which forms a vertical column around which the vapour is drawn.
Any moisture is collected around this column causing an ice build up and vastly reducing the amount of wet vapour at the vacuum pump.

Think of it like a very efficient filter drier. You set it to say over night, come back the next day.
Isolate the lines either side.
Switching off the unit and then unbolt the flange, you withdraw the centre which is covered in ice.
Defrost the column by whatever means you have.
Re bolt the unit back up and sett it to work again.
Its a brilliant way of removing large amounts of moisture from a system, without all the expense of oil and filter changes.

A Cold Pot!
Not available at the wholesalers, but could be made by most fridgies with the resources available to them!

20-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Sorry Magoo.
I missed your correct answer whilst composing the above answer.
I owe you a cigar my friend, maybe one day we shall enjoy one with a wine of your choice!

monkey spanners
20-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Thats what i said on the old thread just before IM's water pump pic! might have called it a vacuum doodad though....

Jon :D

21-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I owe you a cigar as well then Jon.
So much knowledge for one so Young!

21-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Many moons ago we used to use what was then called a ice trap with dry ice and R11,basically it was a tube within a tube. Dry ice/R11 in the inner tube and vacuum pulled through outer tube. Normally used after tubes burst on larger chillers.