PDA

View Full Version : Next career step ...

Willis88
17-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I've been working in the industry for just over 2 years now, i have passed my city and guilds level 2 and have F-gas cert. I also have very good electrical knowledge. Ive been working mainly on commercial cases (all integral) in the manufacturing and servicing sense and just wondered how to get into the larger side of things, e.g working on packs etc ? would my lack of experience in this field hold me back ? Thanks.

RONB
17-08-2012, 09:03 PM
To be honest it is quite a big step to go from integs etc to packs and supermarkets,but we all have to start somewhere. My advice would be to contact the bigger national refrigeration companies and see if they have any positions available. If you can get a start say in an installation team it is a very good way to get a good knowledge of how and why the systems are put in the way they are. You may get a shock at some of the unsocial hours you have to work but that is the way the supermarket trade is. That is what I did many years ago and then I progressed to service and because I had come from an installation background the knowledge I gained on install was invaluable on the service learning curve. Service can be a bit daunting at first when you do your first stand by you may be ****ting bricks as your the man in the firing line but most of the time someone will be there at the end of a phone to help you out if your lucky. The hours you work on service can be unreal sometimes but if you want to earn the money that is the route to go for. After you have gained a lot of expirience in service you may want to try commissioning,there is no stand by but the unsocial hours come back again. If you have the confidence in your abilities go for it. You have nothing to loose and a lot to gain.

Willis88
17-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Thankyou very much, your reply has been very helpful :) i agree that the best knowledge is gained working from the ground up and im only 23 so have many years of learning in me. I will have a look into the installation route.

chemi-cool
18-08-2012, 10:36 AM
If I were you, I'd go for it.
Most of the problems with big packs are electric and control ones and you have the knowledge.

"You cant learn to swim on the sand" [CC]
Just remember, no one is smarter than you, some have more knowledge.

Good luck!