PDA

View Full Version : Suction & discharge cooled compressors

Peter_1
14-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Most hermetic and semi-hermetic compressors are suction gas cooled and very few are discharge cooled. What's the advantage of the discharge cooled ones?
What AC brands use discharge cooled compressors?

monkey spanners
14-08-2012, 09:24 PM
I think the discharge cooled ones are mostly rotary ones in air con applications. I think it helps reduce noise and oil carryover.

al
14-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Hitachi use discharge cooling if i remember rightly?

Peter_1
15-08-2012, 07:17 AM
And Daikin VRVII and III as well but what's the advantage?

mad fridgie
15-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Ah ,this is a good question.
Think about the point of entry into the compression chamber (not the compressor), with a suction cooled system, refrigerant must pick up superheat, hence effecting the the possible refrigerant mass flow. So in theory a discharge cooled comp has to be more efficient, (well the compression part). This could also effect maximum discharge temp.
Do the windings transfer heat easier, because the discharge gas is more dense, and because the whole shell is hot, is heat dissipated more easily. Or because suction is cold, the winding do not become as hot in the first place. How does winding temp effect motor efficiency, or are any advantages or disavantages, accounted for in the motor design.

al
15-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Also if the windings are at discharge temperature do you have fewer issues with windings to earth?

al

Yuri B.
20-08-2012, 07:41 PM
How does the "discharge cooled" compressor differ in appearance from the normally cooled one ? Suction pipe on the top and the discharge pipe at the bottom ?