PDA

View Full Version : adding a cassette to a chilled water system.

eggs
10-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi all.

For the above am I correct in assuming that it is just a case of chopping into the existing water circuit, fitting a couple of gate valves and then bunging in the cassete with a chilled water valve?

It is a small retail store within a large shopping centre that has a landlords chiller connection for flow and return. Surely it can't be that simple, what am i missing?

Cheers

Eggs

Brian_UK
10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Yep, it should be that simple.

Probably worth while a including a balancing valve especially if there are any other units in there or more to be added later. It will also give you a means of proving that the landlord is providing the required water flow if any argument should arise about performance.

Don't forget the pipe insulation... sometimes worth adding a small drip tray underneath the valve set close to the unit to catch the errant drips.

eggs
10-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks Brian.

Please excuse my ignorance, where would the balance valve be installed at the inlet to the cassette or onto the landlords inlet?

Cheers

install monkey
10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
fit the regulating (balancing) valve on the chilled water return pipe, you can get comissioning sets from pipeline ctr if the manufacturer of the unit doesnt supply them, ideally you need to check flowrates through the system as adding an additional cassette will affect flow rates to the other units,-good luck

The Viking
10-08-2012, 07:29 PM
You are right,
In theory it is dead simple, however...

Having done similar things in a few shopping centres up and down the country, in my experience it is a minefield.

Your best bet is to ask (or get the shop owner/manager to) the centre management people what they expect and will allow before any design and pricing up is done.

In some centres it is simple, 2 flow controlled pipes enters each unit and the individual shop can do whatever they like with it within their walls.
From there it will escalate...
The worst one was where the centre management specified specific energy monitoring units to be fitted by their contractors (@ a rate of £900/day), specified the brand of the fan coils and even what type of fittings and lagging that must be used...

Good luck,

:cool:

eggs
10-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the input chaps, it's given me some food for thought.

Cheers

stufus
11-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Make sure it's not a dry cooler loop for water cooled systems before connecting.
Have seen it done more than once!!
Cheers
Stu

eggs
12-08-2012, 01:27 PM
:eek: Now that would be opening up a can of worms :eek:....think I best visit site.

Cheers

RSTC
12-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Not to mention any names Stufus, but would that be in a shopping centre that rhymes with bundrum?

@eggs definitely visit site! Ask for the landlords connection handbook, they may have specific requirements for connection arrangements and also for working arrangements (ie no drilling or hammering or hot works or cutting or breathing between 1am and midnight when there is a y in the day which you won't get paid for afterwards).

stufus
13-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Not to mention any names Stufus, but would that be in a shopping centre that rhymes with bundrum?

Yeah Dundrum and Maynooth shopping centres,

Cheers
Stu

install monkey
13-08-2012, 08:55 PM
heat reclaim!! - mcr arndale have a condenser water loop, ur limited to about 80kw of cooling per retail outlet, any extra req consultants,meetings and plans- i would like to apologise for ripping out 2x 10kw units and sticking in 2x 15kw units- it was lennoxs fault,and in my defense theres a unit downstairs with no gas in so i havent exceeded the maximum capacity:o

eggs
29-08-2012, 04:50 PM
The plot thickens....and the job grows....

Can I please have a bit more help?

The landlord provides chilled water and the primary pumps are sized to 40kPa per retail unit. When I add all my figures up I require 1.008 l/s of water and my kit pressure drop is 60.6kPa not including pipe work.

Is this where shunt pumps are needed?

Cheers

Eggs

eggs
29-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Second thoughts..

Can anyone recommend a design engineer to do the business??

Cheers

Eggs