PDA

View Full Version : R407C replacements?

fridgey
08-08-2012, 12:12 PM
I've been working on a heat pump system on R407C that has lost half it's charge. I was just wondering if any one would recommend any other refrigerants that could be used in this system.

I know there are heaps of R22 replacements out there, but which one is best in a heat pump application?

What would the benifits be if I changed refrigerant or should I stick with R407C and just recharge the system?

Luke.G
08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
hi fridgey,
Recover and get rid of the R407C left in the system as it's a zeotropic blend
If the unit is R407C then why change?
personally i would just find the leak, vac the unit and recharge with virgin R407C

Thanks,
Luke

fridgey
12-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Thanks, Luke

Have found a leak on the condenser. I've reclaimed gas and repaired the leak. I know about 407C being zeotropic. R407C has never been my favorite refrigerant. I think it's crap that you can't reuse it after a leak, which you have to try explain to the client. Is there a R22 replacement that is not a zeotropic blend? My plan was just to recharge it with new 407C as you suggested, but it was the client who wants to change refrigerant. He wants to changed to a hydrocarbon refrigerant, Hychill.

I'm not convinced, and haven't used it before, I've read there claims but I'm skeptical. I know hydrocarbons are good refrigerant and have used them before in cascade systems, but the charges are only small 200-300 grams.

My issue is the flammability, the system charge is 3.2kg of 407C, the hydrocarbon charge will be roughly half. That means 1.5kg of hydrocarbon. I've heard some horror stories when things have gone wrong and I'm not shore the risks are worth it. I'm not sure which path to take R407C (my preferred) or try the Hychill (what client wants) any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers