PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a new inverter Airconditioning for a 5 m x 3,5 m room with 2 windows!

xbox40489
07-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Choosing a new inverter Airconditioning for a 5 m x 3,5 m room with 2 windows and a gaminglaptop and a pc tower computer with 2 screens(19 inch and 22 inch lcd)!

I recently asked for a quote at my local ac dealer. And here below are their prices including the prices for installation.

What do you guys think. A panasonic of daikin oor other models recommended?

===

Panasonic standard inverter (energy savings upto 50%) 9000 btu – US$ 660 + $ 175 (basic installation of upto 3 meters of piping) if brackets needed - $ 30 additional model CSPS9MKQ/CUPS9MKQ - available

Panasonic deluxe inverter (energy savings upto 65%) 9000 btu – US$ 710 + $ 175 (basic installation of up to 3 meters of piping) if brackets needed - $ 30 additional model CSS9MKQ/CUS9MKQ (BUILT IN AIRPURIFIER) -available

Daikin inverter (energy savings upto 50%) on special right now – US$ 710 free basic installation of upto 3 meters of piping, brackets $ 30 model FTKN25KEVM/RKN25KEVM - available

We don’t have 9000 btu available in Midea.

install monkey
13-08-2012, 08:06 PM
can you get mitsi electric in st maarten? which ever u choose id go for a 12000btu as theyre not much more expensive but give that extra capacity on extremly hot days

aircon50
15-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi xbox
Claims of 50% saving are a little exaggerated, as is 65%. Most sales catalogues are claiming savings of around 30%, compared to non-inverters.
Our business here in Tenerife, wouldn't entertain Panasonic. #1 - Daikin, #2 - Fujitsu/General, #3 - Gree (manufacture for Daikin in China).
I don't know what your ambient temperatures are like in St Maarten, but on some basic calculations, given the sizes you gave, I would suggest 12kBTU (3.5kW), as install monkey has already suggested.
Hope this helps
Graham

xbox40489
19-08-2012, 01:59 AM
http://www.weather.com/weather/today/St.+Maarten+Netherlands+Antilles+NTXX0004

Do not know if this helps explain the ambient temperatures. But here it is.

I also tried to get a qoute from the same seller of a 12000 btu

Hi xbox
Claims of 50% saving are a little exaggerated, as is 65%. Most sales catalogues are claiming savings of around 30%, compared to non-inverters.
Our business here in Tenerife, wouldn't entertain Panasonic. #1 - Daikin, #2 - Fujitsu/General, #3 - Gree (manufacture for Daikin in China).
I don't know what your ambient temperatures are like in St Maarten, but on some basic calculations, given the sizes you gave, I would suggest 12kBTU (3.5kW), as install monkey has already suggested.
Hope this helps
Graham

xbox40489
23-08-2012, 08:33 AM
I'll measure my room and the windows and the ambient temperature I think was on the url above.

We are actually on a hill which is pretty breezy at night. Almost dont need AC at night. But in during the day at noon, it gets hot in here.

xbox40489
07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
One 12,000btu Daikin brand, wall type split unit 220V/60Hz, R410A *****, Inverter series, including installation, material, soldering vacuuming, galvanize brackets to hold condensing unit and labor total amounts with discount applies comes to US$925.00

I got this qoute from a AC dealer here on the island! As you stated there is not much difference in price when it comes down to it. 9000 btu vs 12000 btu.

Summary:

US$925.00(daikin not sure what model but is a 12000 btu) vs $865(panasonic model CSPS9MKQ/CUPS9MKQ 9000 btu) vs $915(panasonic model CSS9MKQ/CUS9MKQ/9000 btu) vs $740(daikin model FTKN25KEVM/RKN25KEVM/9000 btu)

Compared to the previous models on 9000 btu:

Panasonic standard inverter (energy savings upto 50%) 9000 btu – US$ 660 + $ 175 (basic installation of upto 3 meters of piping) if brackets needed - $ 30 additional model CSPS9MKQ/CUPS9MKQ - available

total: $865

Panasonic deluxe inverter (energy savings upto 65%) 9000 btu – US$ 710 + $ 175 (basic installation of up to 3 meters of piping) if brackets needed - $ 30 additional model CSS9MKQ/CUS9MKQ (BUILT IN AIRPURIFIER) -available

total: $915

Daikin inverter (energy savings upto 50%) on special right now – US$ 710 free basic installation of upto 3 meters of piping, brackets $ 30 model FTKN25KEVM/RKN25KEVM - available

total: $740

I am still going to measure the room and check if it is worth it.

xbox40489
07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Did you mean mistubishi electric?

can you get mitsi electric in st maarten? which ever u choose id go for a 12000btu as theyre not much more expensive but give that extra capacity on extremly hot days

install monkey
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
using a local reputable installer is always a good option as in a few years time if you need parts then theyre easier to obtain.
the additional capacity of a 3.5kw unit is a bonus when starting up the system it will reach setpoint quicker then modulate the same as a 2.5kw, there is no different in size in indoor and outdoor, pipesizes are the same.

xbox40489
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
http://www.koolit.co.uk/news.html

http://www.koolit.co.uk/documentation/MEUK_Sales/Mitsubishi%20Electric%20Zen%20MSZ-EF-VEB%202011.pdf

Yeah those ac look very stylish.

I should check if they are available. If not we will need to order it from the United States.

Which model do you recommend? Zen series?

Are these inverter Ac units from mitsubishi?

Did you mean mistubishi electric?

install monkey
07-09-2012, 06:53 PM
just to throw a spanner in the works check out the daikin emura
like the zen theyre a little more expensive but they look nice
http://youtu.be/Ak7Y2rtkCs4

Slim R410a
07-09-2012, 09:04 PM
The Mitsubishi Zens were on special offer here in the UK for a few months over the summer so ask around.

xbox40489
07-09-2012, 09:59 PM
just to throw a spanner in the works check out the daikin emura
like the zen theyre a little more expensive but they look nice
http://youtu.be/Ak7Y2rtkCs4

Idiom Definitions for 'Spanner in the works'
If someone puts or throws a spanner in the works, they ruin a plan. In American English, 'wrench' is used instead of 'spanner'.

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/spanner+in+the+works.html

Install Monkey heheheeh you meant go for broke....the Daikin Emura looks boss!!! What if the **** go bust and stay one place?

Heehhehehe

xbox40489
07-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah but all the mitsubishi's and the emura's! they save you money on the efficiency? or not?

install monkey
07-09-2012, 10:34 PM
emura 4.46 (energy label 'A'),
ftxg 4.04 energy label A
mitsi muz35ge 4.09 energy label A
mitsi zen 3,5kw 3.85 energy label A

xbox40489
08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
emura 4.46 (energy label 'A'),
ftxg 4.04 energy label A
mitsi muz35ge 4.09 energy label A
mitsi zen 3,5kw 3.85 energy label A

How do I have to read energy labels?

The higher the better? And ftxg stands for what brand? Lazy to google.

By the way if you wanted to paste e table content from some site. I would paste the whole thing in notepad and arrange the data and show copy paste it here after.

install monkey
08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
ftxg is daikins standard inverter
read the energy labels off the daikin and mitsi websites- links below
http://www.mitsubishi-aircon.co.uk/
http://www.daikin.co.uk/contacts-and-downloads/literature/air-conditioning-data-sheets/index.jsp

have you got any ice out that k20 yet??;)

How do I have to read energy labels?

The higher the better? And ftxg stands for what brand? Lazy to google.

By the way if you wanted to paste e table content from some site. I would paste the whole thing in notepad and arrange the data and show copy paste it here after.

techguy
14-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Panasonic No.1 AC brand in Spain so why someone in tenerife wouldn't entertain them is strange.
I agree savings do seem a bit generous and basically for a unit thats size any of the mainstream brand
Pana, mitsi, Daikin etc would be fine.

Stay away from Chinese stuff regardless who they manufacturer for the only reason mainstream brands use the chinese kit is for low budget low cost rac stuff they ship out the door in high summer and are willing to accept higher than normal warranty percentage.

The low ambient control on it isn't great and the defrost control can be weak. My advice for whats it worth buy a Pana or failing that one of the other mainstream brands.

T

xbox40489
20-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Ok can we clarify that I need to stay away from chinese ac's:

Daikin I checked last time is made in china?
Mitsi and Pana are made in Japan?

Not sure on this.

And also my dealer here is a daikin dealer.

Not sure on panasonic. I need to call and ask.

xbox40489
20-09-2012, 02:00 AM
US$925.00(daikin not sure what model but is a 12000 btu) vs $865(panasonic model CSPS9MKQ/CUPS9MKQ 9000 btu) vs $915(panasonic model CSS9MKQ/CUS9MKQ/9000 btu) vs $740(daikin model FTKN25KEVM/RKN25KEVM/9000 btu)

So the 12000 btu model of the daikin costing total of 925 btu installation is a good deal?

====

original mail from them:

Yes we do have 12,00btu unit in stock!

Daikin 12,000btu 220V /60Hz Inverter units are on special.

Following is some spec. for Daikin inverter split unit/

cid:image001.gif@01CD813D.472D4630: 1) High Energy Saving, 2) Inverter Series, UP TO 50%, 3) Whisper quiet Operation, etc,

It’s really interesting mechanism of Daikin air-condition,

The model that we are offering you in Daikin brand uses R410 refrigerant which is environment friendly and these units are anti-corrosion treated, meaning the coils have anti-corrosion coating to prevent rusting of coils sooner than they normally do.

NOTE: Inverter Mechanism – What’s an inverter?

The inverter circuit can regulate the voltage, current and frequency, which in turn changes the speed of the compressor. This makes it possible to delivery just the right amount of output at any given time, keeping you comfortable while optimizing power consumption. Compared to non- inverter air-condition, which operate at a fixed power level, inverter models naturally give you a superior level of comfort as well.

One 12,000btu Daikin brand, wall type split unit 220V/60Hz, R410A *****, Inverter series, including installation, material, soldering vacuuming, galvanize brackets to hold condensing unit and labor total amounts with discount applies comes to US$925.00

xbox40489
20-09-2012, 02:01 AM

So the 12000 btu model of the daikin costing total of 925 usd + installation is a good deal?

====

original mail from them:

Yes we do have 12,00btu unit in stock!

Daikin 12,000btu 220V /60Hz Inverter units are on special.

Following is some spec. for Daikin inverter split unit/

cid:image001.gif@01CD813D.472D4630: 1) High Energy Saving, 2) Inverter Series, UP TO 50%, 3) Whisper quiet Operation, etc,

It’s really interesting mechanism of Daikin air-condition,

The model that we are offering you in Daikin brand uses R410 refrigerant which is environment friendly and these units are anti-corrosion treated, meaning the coils have anti-corrosion coating to prevent rusting of coils sooner than they normally do.

NOTE: Inverter Mechanism – What’s an inverter?

The inverter circuit can regulate the voltage, current and frequency, which in turn changes the speed of the compressor. This makes it possible to delivery just the right amount of output at any given time, keeping you comfortable while optimizing power consumption. Compared to non- inverter air-condition, which operate at a fixed power level, inverter models naturally give you a superior level of comfort as well.

xbox40489
20-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I got a qoute of a panasonic unit: 1030 usd with installation and it is a 12000 btu unit.

install monkey
20-09-2012, 06:45 PM
panasonic units have treated coils too, the daikin was cheaper unless the offer has finished.
next its down to system aesthetics

The Viking
20-09-2012, 07:34 PM
So many options and questions...

The big question in this thread is if the right questions are asked or if we are just answering the wrong questions.

Between the brands you are looking at there is little if any practical difference.
The energy consumption (or saving) they are quoting you means nothing in real life, they are theoretical values researched under clinical conditions.
In real life you will save much more on your running costs by having it regularly serviced and just by taking the setpoint up by one degree.

The big question shouldn't therefore be what brand or model, you need to find an installer that you can trust to do a proper installation.
If shortcuts are taken during the installation the expected lifespan of any system can be reduced to only months.
Some shortcuts will only reduce the performance, others will cause the system to stop working during hot days and some shortcuts will even cause ACID to form in the system.

Now, the best advice I can give you is to find a reputable installer with good track record and then get him (or her) to install the system he likes the best.

:cool:

xbox40489
21-09-2012, 02:22 AM
US$925.00(daikin not sure what model but is a 12000 btu)

This daikin offer is probably still on the table.

but someone up there just said dont do chinese ac?

Daikin is supposed to be chinese or japanese?

xbox40489
21-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Daikin Industries, Ltd. (ダイキン工業株式会社 Daikin Kōgyō Kabushiki-gaisha?) is a Japanese multinational air conditioner manufacturing company headquartered in Osaka. It has operations in Japan, China, Australia, India, Southeast Asia, Europe, and North America.

Nevermind found the answer!

But are these units made in japan? Or in china?

xbox40489
29-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Viking do you still think its up to the installer? I found a samsung app for the samsung AC!

Which makes this great to own. An AC unit to be controlled by an app.

The Viking
29-01-2013, 11:30 PM
LoL...
The more technology and gizmos fitted the less money has been spent on what really matters...

And yes, the installer will make or break any system. Find someone you can trust and go with their advice when it comes to make and model.

:cool:

install monkey
29-01-2013, 11:37 PM
doesn't the Samsung unit need an external box to enable this- you can get a mitsi electric- or a daikin, spend a bit on extra's and you can get web browsing,so you can get a virtual controller, texts of fault codes- temperature logging- anyway you've gotta get that ice machine fixed- as the post is going to be a sticky (long running post that stays at the top of the page) :D
Viking do you still think its up to the installer? I found a samsung app for the samsung AC!

Which makes this great to own. An AC unit to be controlled by an app.

xbox40489
23-04-2013, 06:43 PM
doesn't the Samsung unit need an external box to enable this- you can get a mitsi electric- or a daikin, spend a bit on extra's and you can get web browsing,so you can get a virtual controller, texts of fault codes- temperature logging- anyway you've gotta get that ice machine fixed- as the post is going to be a sticky (long running post that stays at the top of the page) :D

HEHEHE,

The ice machine is running fine since this month.

On to the AC project.

This is the "Air Conditioning Calculator" I found on this site:

http://www.praairconditioning.co.uk/airconditioningcalculator/index.php

I did some measurements on the rooms last night and I came out with the picture below.

The small room is like an office and the main one is like the bedroom.

Also the windows will not hermetically close so AC will flow out the small cracks.

Maybe there is a way to remedy this.

So 5200 BTU for the big room and the small room with the fridge under the ice maker a little bit over 5800 BTU.

But there is a door dividing these rooms. In the figure you can see the location of the doors and windows.

But If I read this thread it is more up to the trusted installer to make a judgement on this one.

So accordingly these two rooms joined together with the open door will need at least 11000 BTU unit.

I do not known anything about external boxes and daikin and misti with webbrowsing abilities. Please elaborate. Which models?

Any other advice on this one?

install monkey
23-04-2013, 08:19 PM
5000btu and a 6000btu (or a 5kw and a 6kw units) in each room, preferably seperate split units as your small room with the k20 will req more cooling and you get the option to turn off the unit in the larger room when unoccupied, also if 1 faults then the other will still work.

xbox40489
23-04-2013, 09:12 PM
wow!

2 units would be killer.

I might as well open the door to the rooms and have the ac on?

Also the ice maker wont be running ofcourse all the time.

The small fridge underneath it is running all the time though.

install monkey
23-04-2013, 09:27 PM
boll**ks - conversion error- forgot 12000btu is 3.5kw- 2 seperate splits or a twin split- 2kw and a 3kw approx

xbox40489
24-04-2013, 12:24 AM
boll**ks - conversion error- forgot 12000btu is 3.5kw- 2 seperate splits or a twin split- 2kw and a 3kw approx

How about only worrying about the bed room for now?

that was:

1.53 KW

5221 BTU

Would you still recommend a 12000 BTU moneywise?

xbox40489
24-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Also does these windows much matter?

For now we have no AC in the house. Only ventilators.

Less money to pay for the electric bill.

xbox40489
08-05-2013, 12:05 AM
so what do i want to choose?

an ac that does not eat much electricity and have good reviews? or one that the installer recommends installing?

aircon50
08-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Wow! I can't believe this started in August last year!!!
I know it's a little late to respond, but...
techguy - Panasonic may be ok on peninsular, but back-up here in the Canaries is little worse than useless. Added to which, just about everything else is cheaper. You won't them name-dropping on their web-sites - but where in the world is the largest A/C manufacturer? Correct first time - China! And the company name - Gree!
Everybody has their own favorite/recommended brands, but a shouting match about which is best doesn't solve the question.
We're deviating from the original request from the instigator of this thread. Now given the layout of the area to be cooled there are, IMHO, three routes. 1. A single 3.5kW unit in the larger area. 2. Two individual 2.0kW units. One in each area. 3. A multi exterior unit driving one 2.0kW and one 2.6kW interiors.
The Viking got it spot on. The badge on the front isn't as important as the quality of the installation! The life of the most expensive units will be severely compromised by a poor/cheap installation.
Don't look on the internet - do the leg-work! Ask around for the most trusted installer with the best back-up (parts and maintenance) service. I'd do it for you myself, but the travel charge would be a little expensive!! Best of luck!

xbox40489
11-05-2013, 04:41 AM
Wow! I can't believe this started in August last year!!!
I know it's a little late to respond, but...
techguy - Panasonic may be ok on peninsular, but back-up here in the Canaries is little worse than useless. Added to which, just about everything else is cheaper. You won't them name-dropping on their web-sites - but where in the world is the largest A/C manufacturer? Correct first time - China! And the company name - Gree!
Everybody has their own favorite/recommended brands, but a shouting match about which is best doesn't solve the question.
We're deviating from the original request from the instigator of this thread. Now given the layout of the area to be cooled there are, IMHO, three routes. 1. A single 3.5kW unit in the larger area. 2. Two individual 2.0kW units. One in each area. 3. A multi exterior unit driving one 2.0kW and one 2.6kW interiors.
The Viking got it spot on. The badge on the front isn't as important as the quality of the installation! The life of the most expensive units will be severely compromised by a poor/cheap installation.
Don't look on the internet - do the leg-work! Ask around for the most trusted installer with the best back-up (parts and maintenance) service. I'd do it for you myself, but the travel charge would be a little expensive!! Best of luck!

All right.

I can start with the Panasonic offered by Omni on the island.

http://www.omni.an/images/page1b.png

They offer warranty also on the compressor(5 yrs) and parts and labour(1 yr). Free installation with the price below with piping up to 5 m.

I guess the lowest priced package starts at 1659 NAFL which is around: 921 usd for a 10.000 BTU unit.

Focusing on the bedroom which is only 5220 BTU needed. The small room is not really important to cool. Also it has a door in between rooms.

xbox40489
05-08-2013, 01:41 AM
Well we kinda forgotten about getting an ac unit in our room.

Is there a specific unit that is exceptional? Or as everyone says it is how the installer installs it.

And also the warranty rather then the type of AC.

xbox40489
10-08-2013, 03:36 AM
I talked to a guy at work today and he said the AC unit by the resort needed like 20 a month replacing.

These units are probably on for a long time. And I saw him cleaning a unit that had to be cleaned(filter).
Pressure cleaned the filter and applies special fluid to make the cilinder blower part unrusty.

Also the refrigerant type, that I remember they had 2 types like in a big gastank. The gastanks had a tube with a gauge to read off the pressure.

They deal with AC units everyday at the resort and need maintenance. And buying them up in bulk for a special lower price. Probably for 250 usd each by places like ACE.

Which leads me to think. If you got one unit only I rather have it to be the most efficient one and maintenance without much hassle.

install monkey
10-08-2013, 12:04 PM
you still not got a split unit yet???- u need to get a unit with anodised condenser fins, and prob coated evap fins too as sea air will corrode aluminium-panasonic used to do it as standard over here, otherwise u need to treat the fins with blygold - spray coating- hotel ac everone runs em at 16deg with windows open so they will fail more frequently
hows ur ice machine??
cheap option- fill an insulated cooler box with ice and desk fan- coolio

xbox40489
17-11-2013, 09:44 PM
which ones are treated that way? my location is not really close to the sea i am high up in the hill.

and the ice maker is doing fine a bit slow but i think i need to check it on gas. because the cycles are too long.

i am working on arduino's(microcontroller with a sensor) now to give me a temperature of the ice maker.

install monkey
17-11-2013, 09:58 PM
http://www.blygold.com/uk/doityourself.html
get any unit and coat it yourself- otherwise, panasonic used to treat their condenser coils