PDA

View Full Version : Deomissioning

danv44444
31-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys, I am a gas safe registered plumber and qualified in plumbing to nvq level 3. A friend of my needs his air conditioning system removing. He has a Toshiba Rav 160ah-p installed at prestent and he just wants it taking out completely. Its a small system with only one outlet in the ceiling. Is this difficult to do? is it easy to drain down etc? and are there any dangers i need to be aware of? I know I am probably going to get shot down for posting this on this great forum but im just trying to help my friend out on this one off job and im not looking to move into this area of work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

still learning
31-07-2012, 04:31 PM
its would be best imho, to get a a/c person to reclaim the gas , or at least pump it down and get the gas back into the system, if it has no additional charge .
a/c guys cannot work on your kit and your have no fgas certification.
it depends if your mate wants to try and sell the old system of dump it. when we dump old kit we have to sign that it has being de gassed correctly.
you can be fined for venting fridge gas to the atmophere .
if your mate is strapped for cash, could always try getting someone to take it for free. worth a shot?

monkey spanners
31-07-2012, 05:04 PM
As Still Learning stated, you need an F-Gas certification to work on anything containing refrigerant, fines and prison sentences are possible depending on the level of transgression.

From a practical point of view theres no water to drain down (excepting drain pan contents) but the system should contain around 2kg of refrigerant at a reasonibly high pressure 100/180psi (temperature dependant), the consequences of not handling it correctly range from nothing to death, via not feeling quite right, freeze burns, asphyxiation etc. Then there is the electrical side to consider. You'll be fine with the condensate drain though :)

Best get someone qualified to recover the refrigerant and disconnect the electrics, then you can remove the equipment. (same as needing a Gas Safe chap to disconnect a boiler etc)

danv44444
31-07-2012, 06:51 PM
thanks a lot guys. based on what you have told me i think he better get someone else to do it.