PDA

View Full Version : Parts & Labour Warranties

Genfrost
25-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi Guys,

Just trying to get a few tips with regards to warranties etc, as a wholesaler we offer a parts only warranty and a parts and labour, was wondering as engineers what you would expect from a parts only warranty from a supplier? Any any tips on letting customers know of the short falls of parts only warraties etc...

Thanks in advance for this info :)

monkey spanners
25-07-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't expect things to go wrong during the warranty period, but if they do and they are worth under £50 its not usually worth the effort of packing the part up filling out various forms taking it down the post office then arguing over payments verses credit notes. Just means i would be very unlikely to spec your equipment agian should parts fail.

Basically i don't need the hasle of warranty claims so anything you can do to make the process less painful would be good. To help your customer know about shortfalls of various types of warranties you would need to be very clear over what is and is not covered, for how long and in what circumstances.

Its a shame the warranty process in our industry doesn't work the same as with heating/plumbing where the manufacturer has his own guys to fix any problems with their equipment, only comes back to the contractor should the fault turn out to be caused by poor installation etc.

install monkey
25-07-2012, 09:06 PM
most manufacturers offer the labour allowance- but when you get £40 for swapping a compressor,condenser and £15 for a pcb-doesnt go very far- why should the contractor loose out if he did an install 50 mile away.
if your trying to change a compressor theres no way you can make any money out of it,after youve factored in reclaim bottles,nitrogen,vaccing time and maybe virgin refrigerant then it can become costly

al
25-07-2012, 09:29 PM
If i buy equipment from "out of state" i would expect to be reimbursed for parts used when they fail, parts only warranty is fine for this, although a labour allowance would be preferable, Hitachi used to be pretty generous with time allowed. As per both monkeys above, if stupid stuff fails then it would be hard to recommend to customers.

al