PDA

View Full Version : Thermo King SBIII Code 23, where to begin?

dkemper
23-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Have an older SBIII that is displaying code 23:

I can't clear the code (or the code recurs immediately after clearing)

Unit won't start, not getting any other codes but have no information on where to start. I've tried turning off the processor and disconnecting the battery, no change to the display or the error code (other than adding a code 50, Reset Clock) to the mix.

Only other indication of an anomaly is the display screen is flashing with the return air temp.

It's got to be some sort of electrical issue, but I'd have though I'd get another code to at least give a hint as to which system/sensor is setting the fault.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to start looking?

Many thanks!

cadwaladr
24-07-2012, 02:22 AM
have you set the clock?

DaButcher
24-07-2012, 05:09 AM
10 characters

dkemper
24-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Well,

I found a blown fuse for the Defrost Damper. Replaced the fuse, but still no joy resetting the error code.

Dropped the processor into Protected Access and was able to clear the code immediately.

Fire it up and find it's lost all it's (well, most of it's) refrigerant. Fair amount of looking is seeming to suggest a leak in the Evap coils themselves.

Found nothing in the engine bay, turn to the evap side of the unit and find a bunch of oily bits at the drains. Hot gas tubes seem to be holding pressure, but I do pick up the clear sound of a leak about 1/3 up and 1/3 over from one of the bottom corners of the unit. (receiver side of the unit)

Not looking forward to trying to repair the coil but the cost of a replacement is prohibitive. As deep as the coils are, think my only option might be to sleeve the inside of the leaking tube with a smaller length of copper. Won't be fun.

cadwaladr
24-07-2012, 08:41 PM
be careful there is a lot of oil in the evap,prepare your firefighting equipment!!!