PDA

View Full Version : Draft beer dispenser

botrous
17-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi guys , a friend of mine is trying to design a draft beer dispenser for a local beer producer . . . I was wondering if anyone have experince with such machines , and where the thermostat should be placed (in contact with the beer for example) and what kind of thermnostat to use , any suggestions . . . maybe websites for such kind of thermostats manufacturers

Thanks and regards

US Iceman
18-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Hi botrous,

I'm not sure about the thermostat, but I am sure the pitcher goes under the beer tap.:p

Sorry I could not be more helpful...

Temprite
18-12-2005, 01:27 PM
G'day botrous

For a beer cooler you can use an ice bank, which uses an ice bank t/stat which turns the refrigeration off when the ice bank contacts the thermostat bulb.The beer cooling lines are usually submerged in the storage tank along with the ice bank.

Alternatively you could use a glycol system which can use a standard type of t/stat (because there is no ice bank).Works similar to ice bank. I have seen several with carel controllers. Some times the glycol is pumped from the machine to the dispenser head cooling the beer along the way.

Or you could use the "Antique system" That is still used in many pubs in Australia.
"Temprites" are flooded evaporators with a low side float and an Evaporator pressure regulator known as a 750 valve which maintains a constant pressure in the evap.The beer lines sit in the liquid refrigerant.If you set the 750 valve to maintain a evaporation temp of about1 degree c your beer will be very close to that temperature.

www.actrol.com.au/ProductLookup.nsf/0/15F393ED10645FAFCA256C38000D11B2/$FILE/PAGE_93.HTM

botrous
18-12-2005, 06:17 PM
US Iceman and Temprite thank you for your replies . . .
My friend saya that the beer should attend the tempreture of -4*C , the evaporator will be in the beer tank. . . so the thermostat bulb should be in contact with the beer ????

regards

botrous
18-12-2005, 06:20 PM
I was thinking of , does a symple vapor bulb thermostat works ? if the bulb contacts the beer , and the temp is setted to -4 ? what do you think , does that work ???

shanes696
18-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I was thinking of , does a symple vapor bulb thermostat works ? if the bulb contacts the beer , and the temp is setted to -4 ? what do you think , does that work ???
Won't the beer freeze at -4 deg. C? Not sure if it's a good idea to have the thermostat bulb in direct contact with the beer as it would corrode? I reckon it would be a better idea to put the bulb inside a close-fitting stainless tube through the side of the tank. If you're going to put the evaporator directly into the beer I would use stainless tubing for the very same reason.

botrous
18-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Won't the beer freeze at -4 deg. C?

Not at all , I drink beer at -4 *C since about 5 years here . . . I think that the alcohool amount in the beer plays the role of not freezing the beer at this temp.

So ? will a regular frifge thermostat works ??

Temprite
18-12-2005, 09:37 PM
All the systems I know of control the temp of the cooling medium.

leffe blonde
18-12-2005, 10:22 PM
hi botrous, how are you intending to dispense the beer, if it is lager, you need co2or 50/50,60/40 mixed gas in order to maintain the correct carbonation level in the beer, if i can find the file for under counter install, i will post, cheers leffe

botrous
18-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Leffe blonde , thanks for your reply , I'll be glad if you can post the file or send it to me via email :
send2pierre@hotmail.com

All the systems I know of control the temp of the cooling medium.

Same as i know , but i was considering controlling the tempreture of the beverage directly

tonto
18-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Botrous,

Most of the beer super chiller systems over here that I have seen have been set at -2 degrees c.. It also depends on if your going to serve full strength of low strength beer out of the tap... I was talking to a brewery rep the other day and he told me light beer freezes at about -2.5 degrees c while full strength is a little lower..... If you are going to use a glycol system make sure the water glycol mix is correct around 30 percent

botrous
19-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Botrous,

Most of the beer super chiller systems over here that I have seen have been set at -2 degrees c.. It also depends on if your going to serve full strength of low strength beer out of the tap... I was talking to a brewery rep the other day and he told me light beer freezes at about -2.5 degrees c while full strength is a little lower..... If you are going to use a glycol system make sure the water glycol mix is correct around 30 percent

Tonto thanks fro the advices....
I've been drinking heiniken -4*c for a long time :D

chillin out
19-12-2005, 07:16 PM
I've been drinking heiniken -4*c for a long time
Thats probably the only way to drink that muck...:p

I find the colder the drink the more you cant taste it. Always prefer a beer at 5.3 deg c.:D

Chillin:) :)

botrous
19-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I find the colder the drink the more you cant taste it. Always prefer a beer at 5.3 deg c

let me say you are a man who knows the taste . . . .

Try it subzero -2*c or double subzero -4*c and tell me what you think :)

Cheeeers and regards

andre_fridge
23-01-2006, 11:54 PM
hi
got some good tips for you, the keg of draught beer should be kept at no more than 7C if it is a live culture beer, the rest is so loaded with preserveatives that you can store all the way up to 10C. easiest way is with a domestic evaperator plate in a bar/ undercounter type domestic fridge with a small fan to circulate air around the keg, using a beverage type thermostat, that way you can control the temp of the beer, you also get less freezing up of the valve on the keg, couple the outlet of the beer to a flash cooler with an ice bank, at the tap or near to it, but not forgetting to insulate the pipe with the beer feed from the keg, if you can get a pump to pump small quantities of the chilled water along the inside of the insulated pipingit works even better

we got alot of those systems running here if you need photos email me

andre