PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know old York wall split a/cs?

Dunno_Daikin
23-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Got one here that doesn't cycle the fan on heat.
Mhh26p17 indoor, mch26n15b outdoor

When cutting power and going through the time delay, the indoor fan correctly does not run until the comp starts and warms up the coil.
Though when cycling on t/stat the indoor fan never stops running even after the compressor has stopped and the indoor coil is cold.

There's 3 LEDs, left green (I assume operation LED), it's solid on when the unit is on; off when unit is off.

Middle orange (maybe defrost)

Right green (maybe comp run?)

On first time delay, left green on, middle orange off, right green flash.
When time delay finished left on, orange off, right green on. Compressor started, then fan kicks in as it should.

When cycling off in thermostat, left on, orange middle starts flashing, right green off. Outdoor fan and comp off. Indoor fan keeps running, never stops even when blowing cold air, so 5+ minutes. Then eventually middle orange turns off as well, only left green on.

Checked thermistors, wires and plugs (fan and filters etc as well of course). Air thermistor 13kohm, pipe thermistor 13kohm at 16C.

Unit eventually gets call to start heat again, middle orange already switched off like I said, right side green comes on again (never flashes indicating timing out delay as delay time already passed and indoor fan has kept running)

Outdoor not iced up, heating otherwise working fine when compressor runs.

Dunno_Daikin
23-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Indoor fan speeds work fine as well, at any time you can switch from low to med to high.
Also tried it on auto fan mode, indoor fan still does not switch off after compressor cycles off on thermostat.

Grizzly
23-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi Dunno!

Do you have other units to compare against?
Meaning is it possible that the fan running on is part of the A/C's control strategy?
Or are you asking because you already know that the fan should not run on?
Grizzly

Dunno_Daikin
23-07-2012, 02:07 PM
It's traditional that the indoor fan on wall splits not run in heat mode unless the coil is warm. That's the main point of a indoor coil thermistor. Of course I've never come across a york wall split with this problem, so I don;t profess to be an expert in Yorks. but I've seen a couple of them that never had this problem, and every other wall split is designed in the same way.
the only exceptions to this rule is ducted commercial units with a airflow/ventilation requirement, or some dumb units, like a basic style controller without a indoor coil thermistor, and just cycle on with compressor. So you;d have to assume if they have a indoor coil thermistor and have no requirement for air ventilation (like a commercial unit), that a wall split with a indoor coil thermistor should cycle.
If it shouldn't by design, then why did the fan not start up until after the comp time out and the comp run for a while to warm up the indoor coil before the fan started in the first instance?
Just thinking out loud here, because of course I have no idea how this system ran for the first decade of ownership, just got the owners word and my theory.

Just seems weird the fan wouldn't turn on after power reset until after the comp delay timed out, it started, the coil warmed up, and then the fan started (ie like every other wall split ever), but then after cycling off on temp a new LED started flashing (surely that can't be normal?) and the fan kept running (IMHO that is not normal for wall splits as I have mentioned)

Mick13
25-07-2012, 01:18 PM
what you said makes perfect sense to me, if it has a coil thermistor it seems to me like it would be designed to cycle the fan on heating with the warm coil, as u said why else would it preheat the coil on first start up?

what happens if u turn the unit off at the controller, does the fan stop then? or does it only stop when u kill the power? like is the only time the fan continues to run (when we believe it shouldnt) when the compressor has cycled off at temp?

thats strange man....

Dunno_Daikin
26-07-2012, 12:23 AM
I can stop the fan at any time, so it's not a sticky relay or anything. That's why I said there's no problem changing fan speeds. I don't think it's normal operation for that unit either, as there's a flashing middle amber light?

Dunno_Daikin
31-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Anyone?
Oh well, going to lose my service fee and tell them to buy a new a/c.

Dunno_Daikin
31-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Oh and apologies Grizzly if you thought I was 'snappy', I was just thinking out loud with my reasoning for any feedback as I only know generalities to design, not specifics, and especially not york a/cs very well.
This 50 post minimum for new members before I can edit sometimes make me feel it's not worthwhile to go back and reword things.
Sure new members shouldn't be able to post links, but having to slog through 50 posts before I can edit is ridiculous, for what purpose is that rule there for? Spammers edit a lot these days? The mind boggles...

Grizzly
31-07-2012, 08:12 PM
No need to appologise as i know only to well how frustrating needing info and it not being available is.
And how easy it is to offend when none is intended.

Only I may well have found some info out.
But when your post died I just thought oh! well!
No need to go any further.
Leave it with me and I will email some info to you.
I have just got to remember where within my archives I put the info.
Grizzly

Yours is a M mini split, H High Wall, H Heat pump, 26 25,000 btu, P New Model with Hitachi remote, I 220-240v 1-50htz or 208 - 230v 1- 60htz, 7 50/60htz.
Outdoor details available also.
I will try and find the fault data.

Grizzly
31-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi Dunno.
It looks as if you have chosen not to register your email address, Unless that is all part of the new restrictions you talk about.
I was trying to send you some info
If you pm me your email address I Will send you some info.
Grizzly

Maybe the attached will help?

Dunno_Daikin
01-08-2012, 01:45 AM
How do you PM?
I can't seem to.
I've added you as a contact so maybe you can PM me so I can reply with my email??

Dunno_Daikin
01-08-2012, 01:50 AM
I've checked my PM box it says "Inbox contains 1 messages. You have 1 messages stored, of a total 0 allowed."

0 allowed, so it's disabled.
If I could edit I could put my email address in this thread, then go back and delete it after you've read it, but I can't edit.
I'll dig around my settings and maybe find something with regards to PM box...

Dunno_Daikin
01-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Does you talktalk.net email address in your profile work?

Grizzly
01-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Does you talktalk.net email address in your profile work?

As you know by now, Yes!
Grizzly

Dunno_Daikin
01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks grizzly.
That delay function sure is mysterious.
Guess the only step forward is to see if a dip switch is set wrong or something. I can't see anything else I can do or check...

Dunno_Daikin
01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Though even when the middle LED stops flashing (signalling whatever that 'delay mode' means), the fan doesn't stop anyway.
But I'll try think of something anyway. Thanks very much for the info.