PDA

View Full Version : Ice Maker keeps peeing. Help!

heliosi
20-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Hey guys, I am a student cum kitchen manager at a Student Coop and recently our ice maker has been giving me puzzles. Every 5 or 6 days it will start to drip water, sometimes in a continuous drip and sometimes in a steady stream.

The model is either a Manitowoc Indigo Series 0322 Ice Cub Machine, or 0522

http://www.manitowocice.com/products/ice-beverage/cubers/modular-air-and-water/air-cooled

I'm pretty sure it's 0322 though; the difference is only in the daily ice production (350 lbs vs. 450lbs) and it's unlikely that the previous kitchen manager would have bought the higher capacity one.

Apparently water leaking onto the ice is not a common problem (or it's easily fixed?) as I failed to Google anyone facing similar problems. So I'm no engineer yet and I know close to nothing about Ice Makers but scouring a little online it seems the problem might be the Seat on the Float Valve or Critical Water Level? Any ideas how I can fix that DIY?

I have another theory for the peeing. We have a labor position here called Brewmaster and he makes beer once a week...but everytime he does so he uses an insane amount of ice to fill up one of the 3 sink compartments. Could it be that the sudden drop in temperature in the ice maker resulting from the large removal of ice cause the Ice Maker to somehow self-correct the situation by flushing water? In fact, could I have mistaken the flushing process as a faulty leaking process? Because like I described earlier the leakings happen intermittently, and though I have not come around to strictly observe if it's true, I can roughly say that the leakings do coincide with the Brewmasters labor schedule.

I would welcome any thoughts as to what the ice maker is actually doing, does it need fixing, or is it just a self-correcting process?

heliosi
20-07-2012, 07:51 AM
If it's worth mentioning, the Ice Maker burned out a power socket and the Ice Maker plug almost two months ago. The refrigeration company replaced the burnt socket and I inserted the plug into the other good socket that wasn't burned (the burned socket will be getting fixed soon). Prior to the burn out I don't think there were ever any water leakings

leegally1983
20-07-2012, 08:27 AM
I could just simply be a blocked drain, i wouldnt reccommend anyone with out knowledge or experience starts tinkering with the machine you could make it worse or even worse have a accident. call out a fridge guy its only a leak cant cost that much to fix.

Royal241
25-07-2012, 03:04 AM
is the machine leveled, does the guy close the lid after removing his ice? you might get a draft that keeps the curtain slightly open if the lid is not closed (switch closed but water flowing out of it). just a quick thought, good luck