PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool k40

Woody12
16-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the trade,
I'm mainly involved with air con split systems and cellar coolers.
But I have been given a 'task' to repair an ice machine I have been told the only thing Wrong is the ice cutter grid wich I can see, could someone please tell me the stages on the unit? What should be happening I have this rigged up at my house, it creates a block of ice but slowly any help is appreciated.
Thanks

spimps
16-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Slab can take 20 minutes to form depending on thickness setting and ambient temp.
Thickness stat energises diverter valve for hot gas defrost which releases slab onto cutter grid,Temp of evap then continues to rise until stat re sets and starts condenser fan and releses diverter valve back to freezing.
Runs contiuously until ice reaches bin stat on the left of ice container and then shuts down,can take up to 24 hours to fill a K40.

install monkey
16-07-2012, 08:41 PM
cutter grid is low temperature- can take 20 mins to go through-k40's have a paddle above the cuttergrid to terminate harvest cycle- also fill solonoid only fills when hot gas defrost energised-so when u start it up pour 2 ltr of water in, make sure the nozzles on the spray arm arent clogged and ensure the drain works as any water in the bottom of the bin will defrost ur ice instantly- happy mauling

spimps
16-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Plus,wipe/flush with milton or lemon juice when finished and then throw away the first 4 hours ice is what I usually say to customers.
Water is carp near me and a horrible black fungus usually builds up so a good clean and sterilisation is a must before handing back to customer.
Don't want the punters getting the two bob bits do we!

install monkey
16-07-2012, 09:00 PM
surely its the owner who has to sterilize/fertilize his slime-as long as lil clear cubes fall out and the condenser is clean-leggit
tip- if he offers you a drink whilst onsite-have a coffee as youve seen the crap in his ice machine!! haha

Plus,wipe/flush with milton or lemon juice when finished and then throw away the first 4 hours ice is what I usually say to customers.
Water is carp near me and a horrible black fungus usually builds up so a good clean and sterilisation is a must before handing back to customer.
Don't want the punters getting the two bob bits do we!

monkey spanners
16-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Ice thickness dangler can wear where it contacts the switch stopping it working properly.

spimps
17-07-2012, 08:20 AM
If you are the last one to touch it then,the usual blah de blah,who knows what lurks under your finger nails,did I wash my hands after the visit to the Loo :o
Normally it is the owner user but if you work in the ice bin then for me I prefer to ensure it's clean,charged for of course.
I suppose you could hand it over to the owner as unclean but I would want a signature for that.
Have stripped a couple down for owners after our local enviro officer who now has a hand held camera with a probe has not liked what she has seen,K40's are no 1!
There are commercial products especially for cleaning ice machines available.
"Would you like ice with that sir ?" sod off :mad:

Woody12
17-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the replys,
I have a cutter grid on order so when I fit that I will report back.
The unit is quite dirty the coil was absolutely clogged probably never been serviced/maintained, I won't be getting ice!

Cheers James

Moomin23
17-07-2012, 01:18 PM
We have done a cleaning and maintenance guide on Youtube, starring my good self! The link is here: http://youtu.be/HWy6f681btM